ND/Pygmy udders...OPINIONS PLZ.

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by liz, Apr 23, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Bootsie is a few weeks shy of 8 years old, this is her 6th freshening and now at 10 weeks fresh she is giving me 3 1/2 lbs a day! I do know that she has good medial and decent teat placement...she was my first mini milking experience...to me after seeing "great udders" she needs to have more rear attachment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tilly is Bootsies 5 year old daughter...This is her 4th freshening at 9 weeks fresh w/ triplet does!
    She too has IMO good medial and good teat placement, but the rear seems too loose...she also has ..Idon't know what you would call it...she has "pocket like pouches" in front...they are pretty deep and the skin is loose there too.
    She is giving me 3 lbs a day, provided she wears her "special collar" to keep her from sucking herself!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do value any opinions I get! Please let me know what you think! :thumbup:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well I think they are producing quite a bit. I like their capacity.

Teat placement is more off on Bootsie then Tilly but if they are easy to milk that is all that matters.

As to the pocket, not sure if that is ideal or not.

Who is Tilly's dad? THe reason I ask is that there wasn't much improvement in the udder from mother to daughter and if you want to improve that with future kiddings I would try another buck.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks for the reply Stacey!

Tillys dad was a ND/Pygmy buck that I sold when she was 4 months old....5 years ago. Both girls are super easy milkers though Boots has a very low stature...makes it difficult to get my hands between her and the bucket! Tilly has the "legs and lean build" of the nigi, I am really hoping that the doeling I retained from her(Goldie) sired by Hank has definate improvement with attachment.

If I can find a pic of Skippy I'll post it, though Tilly got her color from him.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it is always fun to see how their udders turn out. Something i am waiting on right now with Sweet pea

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I agree, the attatchments need some improvment. But it sounds like they are milking well!!!!!!!

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    For their ages they sure have held up. They do need more height and area of attachment in the rear.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you so much!! All this "udder talk" with Registered ND had me really looking at my "original" mixes! They are really easy milkers, trained very well to stand and my 7 year old niece can even milk Bootsie, she stands patiently chewing her cud as if she knows trheres a little person under her. So even though they aren't "Perfect" they are doing fine by me, and I hope that Goldie is even better than her dams on her FF. I do agree with you all that the rears need to be higher and Boots' teats are a bit far out but heythey aren't quite "cantalopes in socks"!! :ROFL:

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Hi Liz, are you bottle feeding your kids? I didn't bottle feed my first ND kids, I should have pulled at least 2 of the quads, but I was so wimpy about it, that I just decided to see if Izzy could do the job...and she is beautifully. And, I couldn't convince her to "play nice" on the milking stand. But, the kids have her a little lopsided...so I'm definately going to bottle feed the next does kids. I have one due June 4 (+-), and I really want to milk these does and show them. We'll see. Sounds like a good amount of milk you're getting!

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hi Di, no all my babies are dam raised, I don't start to milk regular til the kids are 7-8 weeks old and once I sell them or in this years case, retained 2 , wean them...I milk 2x a day..4 am and 4 pm....and it is fairly easy to get a doe to play nice on the stand...get her up there and let her kids nurse while she has her face in the feed, have her used to this and with some pushing her back and forth she'll eventually get the idea! Also, if she acts up, take the grain away and give it to her if she stands for you. Bootsie will occassionally squat so low that my wrists get caught between her belly and the bucket, I keep milking and won't stop so she has the idea that no matter what tricks she pulls, I'm still "pulling" on her!