The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I have 2 NDG a Boer and an Alpine. I have given vaccines and dewormer sub q for the second time now. My Alpine and Boer I have no problems but my Buck and doe NDG u would think I was torturing them when I give injections.

Is that normal?? R they more sensitive. I lock them into the milkstand and they would bleet like u would not believe, fall to their knees, kicked and just plain flip out. I would let them back into their pens and still bleet terribly. I gave the some grain and hey seemed to calm down. Scared the s**t out of me both times.

Any suggestions? What size and Gage needles should I use on them? (Ivermec plus) what's the best placement for them? Their skin is not as loose and they r very muscular compared to Alpine and Boer. Around the neck anyway. I'd appreciate any feedback! ESP if u have NDG. Thanks!

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
I think it is just a dramatic boy thing. With vaccinations, my boer wether and ND buck screech like you just tore an ear off or something. They do the same thing, flail, drop to the ground, moan, etc. for a while. It happens each and every single time.

The girls hardly make a sound and don't do any dramatic limping or rolling about.

·
Super Moderator
59,786 Posts
I use a 20 gauge needle for everything except the thick stuff. I always do SQ shots in the neck right down where it meets into the body (usually has the most skin available to pull).

Ivomec can sting so that may be your problem. The end of the needle has Ivomec on it so they are instantly getting stung. You could try cleaning the needle off after you get the Ivomec in the syringe. Then be sure to rub area good after giving shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts