ND Wethers

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I have a question. What do people usually do with ND wethers? Do you sell them as pets or meat? Do they go quickly? I have been to ND websites and it seems like all the wethers are sold. Is it that simple? I am a vegetarian and currently have full size dairy goats. They are spoiled to death. I really don't want to sell anything just to have it be killed. I know most people sell dairy wethers for meat. I plan on finding them all good homes. My mom can't sell them for consumption either. [My dad would in a heartbeat though.] So, is it really that easy to sell ND wethers to good homes? If so, then they are really the perfect goat. Maybe I'll get some and slow down on the full size dairy goats.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the wonderful thing about nigerians is that they can come in lots of colors. And they are small. So people who are looking for just a pet goat (not breeding) find color to be a big drawl and I always suggest a wether in those cases.

so yes selling nigerian wethers is easy to do - at least in my case.

3. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I sell mine as pets, I wouldn't say it's "just that easy", but if you are patient you should be able to find good homes for them.

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    It just depends sometimes they go fast others it seems impossible as with any goat.

5. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Well when I was first interested in goats a few years ago (wow, how time flies!) I went right to the Nigerians. I wanted to start small, and living in the city I also needed a manageable size (though after learning how to care for goats I decided I could handle a full sized boy) So I did lots and lots of research, and Nigerians just kept coming up. So I got myself two wethers. I think lots of people would do that, and with guidence from the breeder, Nigerian Dwarf wethers are really the perfect place to start, especially the babies, as they are so tiny and irrisitably cute! The only thing is they are fairly common, and since they are so small and cute, I think some people might impulsively get a few only to realize they really don't like taking care of goats, and they get neglected. Just be careful with educating newcomers to the goat world and letting them know what their care requires.