The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

after I received the Goattracks Magazine CD I spent yesterday afternoon browsing through old articles and found one by Adam Black about driving a team.

He mentions using a neck yoke and double shaft and I wonder if he meant a collar (as used with horses) or a yoke (as used in oxen).

· Banned
849 Posts
I'll bet he meant collars such as are used for horses. Every team set-up uses some type of yoke, only when we use collars it hooks under the neck instead of going over the top. I don't know for sure, but wouldn't *think* an over-the-neck yoke would work well with goats because they hold their heads up. Cows work well with neck yokes because they naturally carry their heads below the withers, keeping the yoke perpendicular to the ground.

The yoke is the wooden cross-piece that holds the wagon tongue.
[attachment=0:9d1rvdtw]Yoke.jpg[/attachment:9d1rvdtw]

Attachments

· Registered
742 Posts
i know i'm bringin out an older topic here but i have been lookin alot into ox and oxen lately. one of my other dream projects ;) and i was just thinkin... dang this doesnt look too complicated. i could probably make some simple ones...
so would a yoke or double yoke work with goats or not?
here is a link to a pic of a single yoke: http://www.thehinefamily.com/images/Bow ... 92x294.jpg
link to a pic of a double yoke: http://www.prairieoxdrovers.com/images/tillersyoke2.gif
just so everyone can see exactly what i mean.
so what do you guys think?

· Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

I've looked into yokes for goats, too, but disregarded them. If you look closely at the differences in the anatomy of goats and oxen, oxen have a much more muscled neck, the form of the neck is different and the position of the head as well. I don't believe that a goat could carry a yoke comfortably.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.