Necropsy results

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Lawanda, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    I didn't know exactly where to put this, please move it to the appropriate spot! Thx

I just scanned it and you can view it like a picture. I didnt know how else to do it. It is Greek to me. Basically they said it was unclear why she died, but it may have had something to do with "serous fat atrophy" in the spleen... ??

I thought I would post it here and see what you all can make of it.

[​IMG]

pg 2

[​IMG]

2. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    She had worms, I guess. We had wormed her in November. (Our other goats fecals showed no worms problem..) It doesn't say if she was pregnant, I assume if she was it would have been in there.. ?

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

It looks like she had a low body condition score (thin) and parasites- it sounds like a combination of the two are what caused her death.

I dont think she was pregnant- Im pretty sure it was talking about her ovaries and the follicle (and possibly cysts?), etc in the report

:hugs:

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'd probably get another fecal on your girls just to be sure they are still worm free. The little buggers can lie dormant for a while.

5. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    How long should I wait to get another fecal? We had it done on the 12th.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh, didn't realize you had one done recently. I'd probably do another one in 1-2 months. Is everyone else a healthy weight?

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sorry there was no conclusive results. Did they say what kind of worms she had? there is that one that attacks the nervous system forget the name

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If you look up the fancy names they used for the worms what they found was Cocci, lung worms and round worms.

You don't always find lungworms on a fecal so I would probably worm everyone with ivermectin unless you have done so recently. What did you worm with before?

9. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    "numerous trichostrongyles; muellerius larvae; eimeria 1+/10+" does the report mean numerous all of them or just numerous the first one?

Belle is on the thin side too. :(

Should we go ahead and worm them anyway?

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    They aren't really giving you very good counts and I don't understand their Cocci count. I would give them a call and see what they have to say about how high the counts were.

11. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I found an article about carolina jessamine causing toxicity in goats, with convulsions and serous atrophy.... is there any of that around your paddocks, Lawanda? it says it affected only 3 out of five goats.

"signs characterized by marked progressive weakness and convulsions culminating in death were observed in 3 goats over a 24-h period. To our knowledge, this is the first reported case of Carolina jessamine toxicosis in goats"

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I just wanted to say - make sure that you send the fecal to the lab. Vet clinics do not run fecals through a centerfuge and then use the sugar solution which will pick up alot more eggs!

I didn't realize this till I was talking to my vet on the phone about 2 weeks ago.

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Good point Allison. :thumb: Most vet clinics wont check for Giardia either. grrr

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Giardia is SUPER hard to see (coming from a former vet nurse from Mississippi - the heart of parasites!)

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what is that?

16. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    How do I send a fecal to a lab?

We wormed them with Safegard. Belle might be pregnant now...

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Lawanda, Safeguard is only useful in killing tapeworms and only in some area's is it still effective. Safeguard as well as Panicur are totally useless here, thankfully I've not had tapes in my herd.

Ivermectin injectible given orally is good, I like the paste better...It's cheaper at $3 a tube at TSC and 1 tube will dose 3 large goats. It is also safe for pregnant does.

18. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    The previous owners all told us to use Safeguard, so I thought it was ok. I will get some Ivermectin paste, I am pretty sure I saw it at TSC.

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What I have comes in a plastic wrapper with the brand name of Durvet on it, TSC here just started to carry it about 3 months ago. If you can, pick up a minimum of 4 tubes, this way you are sure to have enough to dose each goat twice, 10 days apart.
    Your girls are bigger right? Do you have a way to weigh them? Getting the correct dose is important...if Grace weighs 125# you triple her weight to get the dose of paste...so the dose would be for 375# which the tube is marked in 250# increments, going 2 notches above the 250 would be the dose for a 375# weight.
    TSC did have the dairy goat weigh tapes, if you can get one of those it will give you a close estimate on weights.