Need a creative idea...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by gnomes'n'goats, Jul 5, 2008.

1. gnomes'n'goats

gnomes'n'goats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    So, the babies were born in April and I need to separate the boys from the girls. Especially Ivan, as he is 7 months old. I have a place I can put all my bucklings but I need to wean my doelings too and I have no place to separate them. I could keep the doelings in with the momma goats, but, how can I get them to stop nursing off the moms???
    I'd be hesitant to use duct tape or something like that on the end of the goats teats as 2 of the 3 does are milkers, and I'd have to rip the tape off them once a day for milking. Ouchie!
    Any ideas are welcome!
    Thanks a bunch

GNG

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Taping works very well, I only had 1 doe that I taped and yes it can really stick to them but after the initial pulling off the teats are no worse for wear...if it's really stuck though...usually because the kid tried to nurse and just stuck the tape even more to mom...I used a warm wet washcloth and held it on the tape for a few minutes..softened the adhesive enough to prevent a skin tear. Athletic tape works well and it is breathable as well as stretchy. A hairless udder is better for taping...I found out the hard way and got kicked in the process of pulling the tape.

3. gnomes'n'goats

gnomes'n'goats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    Ah, okay, sounds good! I wash my goats teats with warm iodine water before milking anyway so that really should work out perfectly.

I hope. :)