Need a Goat Sitter for 3 days in September

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TexasRanger, Jul 18, 2010.

1. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    My grandma has end stage Alzheimer's and is very close to the end :( . She is my maternal grandma and has 5 kids. They are all scattered across the state of California. My mom is the only out of state sibling. I need some to feed/water the goats for those days we are in CA, we will leave on a Fri and come back by Mon. I would ask our neighbors, but half of them don't know what a goat looks like and the other half are always drunk/high. I live in the Canyon Lake, TX area. I'm asking here because I know you guys know about goats and how to care for them. Whats worse is that I have two possible preg.
    Thanks, Chris.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry to hear of your grandma. I am super close with my maternal grandma and she has dementia pretty badly

If I was closer I would totally help ya out :)

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree, I am very sorry about your Grandma. I live way too far away, but if you lived closer I'd love to help. I hope you are able to find someone that can help you out.

4. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Do you have a Cowboy Church near you? We always have young men that will help out if you show them what to do. Also, check with feed stores, vets four-H club.

What is her name? I'll put her on the prayer list. You too while you travel. :hug: :pray:

Gina

5. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I think you are a little too far away from us. My niece (16) is very familiar with goats and does sitting/feeding for people. They have a farm in Lexington.

6. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I found a girl at work who is willing to come out and feed/water for me. If she can't one of my managers will. We don't really have a good FFA/4-H chapter out here. I will ask the vet we take the goats to, but he is quit a distance away, so I'm asking around at work.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats good to hear that you did find someone, have them out to your place a few times before you are ready to leave so that the goats get to know them and they can see firsthand how you feed, writing it down is good too but seeing it helps even more. Also, be sure they have a phone number to reach you and you their's .

8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Liz gave great advice......I always write all instructions down and post them on the barn wall next to the goats stall. I try and make things as easy as possible for whom ever is caring for my guys......I always clean their stall really good before leaving and it is ok until I get back, I am never gone more that 4/5 days......no one will ever clean and care for them like you do, but I figure if they can just throw some hay and make sure they have clean water and observe them for any health issues. It is always stressful to leave them in someone else's hands, but so far I always come home to happy goats! I think it is harder on me than the goats!
    One more thing.....if you plan on paying someone to care for them, I would advise not to pay them until you get back..... they will make sure the job is done if they have not already been paid. I also call my caretaker at least once a day to check in and see how things are going.