Need a herd name

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goat girls, Jan 10, 2018 at 1:50 AM.

1. goat girls

goat girls Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    So I'm seriously considering becoming a member of ADGA and I need a herd name, It was going to be Willow Creek but I feel that I need/want something shorter. I want something peaceful but also something that is going to catch peoples attention.
    Ideas?

2. Old Post Farm

Old Post Farm Active Member

Nov 14, 2017
    you can do the initials of your farm name if you have one. if that doesn't appeal you could do something with mist or fog or other things like that, also try to stay away from names like acres and meadows because those take up more characters. you also have to come up with three options. for example, my options are, OPF (old post farm) OPFS (old post farm saanens) old post. hope this helped I'm going through this process too, today I'm printing out all applications that i need to do. good luck!;)

3. wifeof1

wifeof1 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    Have you checked to see if someone already has that name?

4. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    Are you close to any landmarks or funny named things? Some other options include including part of your last name, any landscape/landmark features you're close to, particular species.

I decided to go with Enchanted Hills, after also getting advice from people here. I live right next to a road called the Enchanted Highway....and I live below some hills.....lol. My parents farm is called Antelope Creek Ranch (along with a million other farms it seems, but it's nothing official), because they live next to....you guessed it, Antelope Creek :D.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  5. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    Well there's Inscription rock but that's long. There is a little area out here called Timberlake but that's kind of long too.

6. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    So defiantly going to become a member and I have found two possible herd names that I like. And when I put that name it to the ADGA pedigree search nothing came up! Sooo....
    1. Above The clouds
    2. Airborne Magic
    I'm still looking for a third and keeping an eye out for any that I might like better than these two.

7. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    Okay starting a list.
    Blue Eyed Bandit
    Colors Of The Wind
    Diamond Flame
    Immortal Flame
    I saw on the ADGA website that the herd name and goat's name combined has to be max. 30 letters, does that include spaces? Any other suggestions? i'd like to keep the herd name at 15-18 letters (that's including spaces)

8. wifeof1

wifeof1 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    Email them and ask for help with the herd name. Super nice peeps. Helped me get mine

9. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    I like above the clouds the best so far, out of the ones on your list. Colors of the Wind, #2.

With ADGA do you have to have a 4 letter herd suffix tattoo like with ABGA?

catharina likes this.
  10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The 30 characters does include spaces.

catharina likes this.
  11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    The longer the ADGA registered name, the shorter the goats' name can be.
    You can call your farm anything you like, but make the ADGA name super short.

catharina likes this.
  12. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    Mine is 3 letters. Not sure if you can go lower.

13. margaret

margaret merryoaks

Aug 30, 2013
    nc
  14. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    The most you can have for the tattoo is 4. And the because of the thirty letters and spaces I'm going to try to keep the herd name at fifteen letters and spaces, then I have fifteen letters and spaces for the name.

15. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    Rustic Sunrise
    Winged Avenger
    Kenya Acres
    I'm going to be posting a few lists of possible herd names and then in a week or so pick out my favorite (and shortest) 3 and get this show on the road!

16. Old Post Farm

Old Post Farm Active Member

Nov 14, 2017
  17. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    I think I'm going submit rustic sunrise,immortal fire and above the clouds. But probably not in that order. My brother was reading reading the list over my moms shoulder and says that winged avenger is the best one with something about superman and batman for second and third.

18. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    I like Above the Clouds best, but if you need shorter maybe something like Cloudwalker, Winged Sun, Sungoats, or Sunblaze. Kenya Sun is only 2 letters shorter than Kenya acres. Are you in Kenya? I have friends there.

19. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    I think I'm going to submit them in this order.Well I think I have picked my three
    Caribbean Sea
    Black Pearl
    At Words End
    If I get any of these names I'm going to have a Jack Sparrow