The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, we have been using Mollys Herbals for the last nearly 2 years without problem. We would have the occasional Cocci but not bad. This spring our does are in a new paddock. Its about a 2.5 acre area but mainly all woods. I noticed that one of my Nubian does was getting hippy and her milk was dropping off. I took a fecal and she was overrun with barber pole. She was eating good, pooping good so I had no idea it was so bad. I am treating her and she is getting her spunk back. I will be retreating her at the 10 day mark and again 10 days later.

So, what type of chemimcal wormer do you use on a schedule. We DO milk and we need to be able to still have the milk so Im not sure what a good regimen would be. What do you do if you milk too?

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I do not deworm on a schedule. I check eyelids, actually, any mucus membrane will look pale, and I deworm as needed. I've been trying to "rotate" my mini horses around to each pasture, after the goats, and that helps. Keeping copper levels up also helps, I believe.

I think herbals are good, but, I would just plan to do a good chemical deworming at least every other year. Maybe you could use one right after kidding and then go back to your herbal? btw, fiasco farm says that her "wait time" after Ivermectin is 4 days...I tend to agree with her. What's left is such small amounts I'm fairly sure it's of no consequence...depending on who drinks the milk, I guess. It wouldn't be a problem for me...but...we are only adults here.

·
Registered
31,506 Posts
for barpole worm you need aggressive treatment...they are hardy boogers...ivomec plus is what I use with success...( no need to use the 'plus'..its just what I keep on hand) 1 cc per 40# sub Q 3 times 10 days apart and once more in 30 days...it does have a milk with drawl however I never do...my whole family drinks the milk with no ill effect..it is however each own call...I do not however use Ivomec on kids under 6 months old. I choose Valbazen 1 cc per 10# orally...same schedual 3x10 then once more in 30...Barpole worm causes bottle jaw..to catch it before bottle jaw is awesome!! So kudos for you!!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cathy- Thank you! I would love to just watch eye lids, I really don't want to be on a schedule either and treat just to treat. I was wondering about the ivermectin dose. I also have the plus and everyone I talked to before said to give it orally since its a gastro worm so I dosed at 1 cc per 34 lbs orally. I will be given the second dose on Wednesday and I wonder if I should change it to sub q? I keep reading different things and Im so unsure which way to go. I almost gave part oral and part sub q! I also gave her some iron, couldn't find red cell, and she also was given B Complex and then a few days later probios. She is definatly getting her spunk back. I thought she was finally just mellowing out but she was actually filling with worms and getting anemic apparently! Poor girl. I checked her eye lids this morning and Im not sure about comparing how they were previous but today they are pink, not like hot pink but pink so Im hoping orally was okay and that as we continue to treat she progresses. Her appetite is through the roof! lol

·
Registered
31,506 Posts
I do sub q....I had experiance with bleed out...when a goat is heavy loaded with worms..using an injectable or pour on as oral can kill the worms too fast ..they detatch from intestinal walls leaving behind small holes..causeing bleed out.. I just do not chance it...IMO if its made to inject...inject...here is a lonk to show more about this and an eye chart of you didnt have one.
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.Ub3GofaDTL8
http://goat-link.com/content/view/58/46/#.Ub3GwPaDTL8
I use the same Wormer until it no longer works..so far both Ivomec plus and Valbazen continue to work...works develope a resistance to wormer with heavy use..I only worm as needed, never on schedual....theonly two times I give wormer even without indication is when a goat has major stress such as going to a new home or major illness and bran new moms, whichis also stress lol...
B 12 will help with her restoring her red blood cells...if yu cant find red cell you can use injectable iron...here is a link on treating anemia...it take quite a bit for them to gain red bloode cells back
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html

·
Registered
152 Posts
I do sub q....I had experiance with bleed out...when a goat is heavy loaded with worms..using an injectable or pour on as oral can kill the worms too fast ..they detatch from intestinal walls leaving behind small holes..causeing bleed out.. I just do not chance it...IMO if its made to inject...inject...here is a lonk to show more about this and an eye chart of you didnt have one.
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.Ub3GofaDTL8
http://goat-link.com/content/view/58/46/#.Ub3GwPaDTL8
I use the same Wormer until it no longer works..so far both Ivomec plus and Valbazen continue to work...works develope a resistance to wormer with heavy use..I only worm as needed, never on schedual....theonly two times I give wormer even without indication is when a goat has major stress such as going to a new home or major illness and bran new moms, whichis also stress lol...
B 12 will help with her restoring her red blood cells...if yu cant find red cell you can use injectable iron...here is a link on treating anemia...it take quite a bit for them to gain red bloode cells back
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html
Ive heard you can use ivomec injectable for cattle. Is this true? I to am going to chemical as the herbal is a pain for the kids. Around here I found noramectin(sp) and the plus for cattle and swine. I guess its a generic for ivomec. Dont have much stuff here for goats. :( if I can use this, whats the dosage? Thanks!

·
624 Posts
I was talking to a vet the other day about worms. He said, at least for this area, worms have built up a resistance to all of the wormers. He said when he goes out to farms to see goats that have been wormed some are full of them and some aren't and that's because some have a better natural resistance to them and others don't. That same day I was talking to a breeder who worms his goats. He had a goat who he wormed with most all the wormers mentioned above and the goat died. He went to get an autopsy and it showed she died of a worm overload. When he told the vet he had given her all these wormers he was told the same thing, that worms are resitant to the meds.

I have Molly's wormer but I only use it if I see a need mainly because I have someone who drinks the milk with severe allergies so I'm afraid it may make him sick. I rarely see a need in my herd to use it. The vet did say that Nubians tend to be hardier to worms than some of the other breeds so maybe that has something to do with why I don't have as much of a problem.

·
Super Moderator
59,787 Posts
Yes, you can use the injectible cattle Ivomec. The generics are fine to use too. You can do them orally or shot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts