Need a shoulder to cry on...

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Dreamchaser, May 26, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I thought I was doing a good thing by trying to find the best goat I can. Well guess I am wrong.

"I wasn’t as concerned about the care of the animals as I was about the use of the genetics. I can only hope that whoever buys our goats will care for them. I have found that experience doesn’t necessarily translate to proper care. ** represents almost forty years of my life work, to have that go to someone who hasn’t worked with Alpine genetics, and who only wants to make nice goats would be something of a waste. Rather like selling your best artwork for a child to color on. There are lots of good, sound healthy goats that score in the high very good or low excellent category to learn on. For most of us, National Champions are a once in a lifetime realization of a dream sort of thing."

This is what I get for wanting to start out with the best. Out of respect, I won't post the author. But I am just bawling right now.

I understand why they said what they said. But let's put things into perspective. It's still only a goat.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Dayna I dont get what happend -- Im trying to read it the way you see it and maybe its real late here and I dont get it but I gather that this was a reply to an email or something? :?

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :?

I gathered that the breeder didn't care for the health and well being of the goats as long as they produced "exceptional" kids? I'm conmfused.

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    A response to an email.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    :hug: :hug: :hug:

This breeder was plain old RUDE. I am sorry you had to deal with this. Everyone has to start somewhere. They obviously have forgotten about that. :angry:

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I wouldnt bother with people who are rude in their emails. They are not worth my time or energy - even energy to be upset. They are selfish individuals and I have found that a lot of big time breeders forget what it is like to start off small or forget just how to be NICE.

Try not to loose sleep over it and know that there will be not so nice people out there (buyers included) and there will be some awesome people out there. :hug: You just have to weed through the bad apples :shades:

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    just keep holding your head up high knowing you are doing the right thing and dont let some selfish snob run you off! I delt with enough of them at the show this weekend - thats why I love Nigerian breeders in my area, they are all so nice :greengrin:

8. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I am just so upset. It's almost like she wants to keep the genes all to herself, or to someone she believes is more deserving.
    Isn't spreading great genes around a good thing? Who does she think she is, GOD? I have sold most of my doll collection, I'm saving every dime I get to buy a great buck. I hope I never get this way, if I do, someone please slap me.

If she had the opportunity to buy a great goat when she started out, wouldn't she have?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh don't be upset :hug: it isnt your fault they are snobs :hug:

10. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Stacey, do you know anyone who might have what I'm looking for? I am just so put off by this. I'm so angry I could spit. Even my goaties knew I was upset. My Alpine doe just came up to me and looked at me with the sweetest eyes. She didn't even jump on the fence like she normally does, she was very polite tonight. Kindof quiet. I think she knew I wasn't feeling well.

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Don't let her get you down, like Stacey said. :hug: :hug:

Go to another breeder and get a nice buck from them. Just because this one breeder was rude does not mean they all will be.

12. goatbless

goatbless New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Very sorry to hear that this individual upset you with their poor attitude and selfishness. Personally, if I knew someone was like that I wouldn't want to promote their genetics for them anyways. There are many other fish in the sea, or goats in the pasture in this case. :wink: Best of luck to you in your search...

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    My husband talked with me. He made me feel so much better. Yeah, one day, when I'm a famous artist, and she wants to buy my sculptures, or trade me a goat for one... Yeah... I feel a lot better now. I shouldn't have let it get to me. But, wow... that was a shock.

14. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    You know what the real kicker is? I was going to use this goat as a live model for one of my life-size sculptures.

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ahhh.....now I understand!

As others said, rude people are not deserving of your tears! Have you checked the breeder listings with AGS and ADGA? I'm positive you can find another breeder of well bred Alpines to suit your needs. I have no time for the "uppity" type and neither should you, don't let it get to you, and when your art is famous one day....well, she definately wouldn't be considered for a piece!

I have dealt with that type of breeder before...theres one here that THINKS she has the greatest herd of dairy goats and THINKS that her goats are IT...another member has had the unfortunate experience of dealing with her and well....lets just say that this breeder could step on the wrong toes one day and have all her dirty little secrets get out in the open.
    Chin up, a caring heart such as yours deserves to be able to love an animal even if the genetics are top notch!

16. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Sorry you had such a crappy experience with that breeder...Just wait until the day when your goaties are kicking butt in the showring...give her something to be hoity toity about...lol...

I know it's hard, but try not to get too upset about it...it is not worth it. There are many breeders of outstanding goats that would be happy to help you...

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You have a good DH.....he is so right... :thumbup: ......the breeder will regret it later..... :wink: :greengrin: ....Anytime you come across breeders such as that......say to yourself ...."yeah right"......they are just jealous... and are afraid.... that I will have better animals then them.....In which ....breeders that are that way.... do fear.....that someone can beat them....it's just there way......but we don't have to listen.....we can move ahead without them.... :hug:

18. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face though. I may not buy from her, but I still want to be respectful. There may come a day where I will have to work with her for some reason.

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I can understand where your coming from...... :wink: :hug:

20. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    She didn't know that I was also going to use this goat as a live model though. I was going to put an inscription on the bottom of the sculpture as a special thanks to the farm I would buy from.