Need advice about unexplained rash...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AmyMarstall, Jul 13, 2018.

1. AmyMarstall

AmyMarstall Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Kansas
    I'm new to this site as far as officially being a member. Although I've read advice given on here for a long time! It's been so valuable.
    My little Oliver, who is almost 7 months old, began to get a rash on his belly near his groin a few weeks back. We kept it clean and it appeared to be improving. Shortly after he got the same spots in the creases under his front legs. Then behind the front legs as well as the back legs. The patches are the size of a quarter to 50 cent piece, the hair is gone, and they look wet and red but get a thick scab fairly quickly. I ordered some Nu-Stock and it has healed his legs completely but now there is a new spot at the top base of his tail. Ugh!!! We live in Kansas and are in an extreme drought with every day at least 99 to 105 degrees. I wondered if it could be from the heat? We have 5 other goats and none of them have any sign of the problem.
    Any advice is GREATLY appreciated! He is very special to me. I don't have any pics of the spot but can get one later. I have attached a pic of him so you know why I say he is so special. He's an angel. 20180629_170222.jpg

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It could be a few different things. Mites or lice. Staph infection. Fungus.

3. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    has he been treated for anything? im with ksal - mites lices - fungi - fleas? laying in wet ground or something possibly?

4. AmyMarstall

AmyMarstall Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Kansas
    He was banded at about 8 wks and been wormed but that's it. I don't see any fleas or ticks and they have clean/dry concrete and the ground is dry as a bone. The Nu-Stock cleared most of them up but I'm now concerned since it seems I clear one and another pops up somewhere else. May be time to visit our vet.

5. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Def could be. point of note on my buckling he had mites and i couldnt see them. but when clyde pees on himself he sometimes burns his skin with the pee. Hes kinda young for that but have you seen him marking himself yet?

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do agree with the others.

He is cute. :)

7. AmyMarstall

AmyMarstall Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Kansas
    I haven't seen him pee on himself.....but the farm is 10 miles away so I go a couple hours in the a.m. and a couple in the p.m. My husband just needs to fence our yard in so I can bring him back to town! Lol!!!
    And, thank you, toth boer goats! He loves a nap by his momma.
    Also, thanks to all for your advice. This site has been a life saver for me!

toth boer goats likes this.