Need Advice ASAP!!! Please Read!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KW Farms, Jul 16, 2008.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Took some kids to the vet today to be dehorned...brought them back this evening. One of the does will not let her buckling nurse! He tried numerous times to go and nurse and she growls and tries to butt him! He is only 3 weeks! I don't know what to do. Gosh, I feel so bad for the little guy right now!!! Need some advice and soon! Any suggestions???

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I am no expert but it may be the smell of the disbudding that is making her act this way. Maybe put some vet rx in her nose, pepermint oil....something with a strong smell to mask the smell of the disbudding.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    first off I would jsut hold the doe to let him nurse. Put her on a milking stand to hold her head then if you have to raise her legs in the air so that she cant lay down. Her buckling should come up to eat, if not have someone bring the boy over to eat.

She is not happy with the smell of him both the disbudding plus the vets office and the car, it all is confusing her. if he was older (which would be to old to disbud I know) i would say let her sort it out but since he is so young I would make her nurse him. Is she a first timer?

4. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Not quite sure if this was her first kidding or not, I believe it might have been though. Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!

5. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    I agree with the other 2. There is no reason to be angry with her, the buckling just doesnt smell like her baby. Hold her to let him nurse and then just wait a little while. The smell of all the handling and new things the buckling was involved with will wear off soon enough.

Cj

6. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I know I love my momma goat dearly and shouldn't be angry w/ her at all. Just got caught up in the moment and feel really bad for my poor little guy. I held mom while he nursed. She still won't let him come up to her. Hopefully by tomorrow she will let him come up to her. The poor little buckling has pretty much given up trying to nurse. He will call for her and she won't answer which is worrying me a bit. He also isn't really following her around to much. I feel really bad for my little guy. Anyway, I guess we will see how it goes tomorrow.

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I didn't have a chance to read the whole story, but you can put some vicks on her nose and the babies bum and see if that will work. But first hold the baby so momma can sniff his hiny - she just thinks he smells funny with his burnt head. After disbudding you should ALWAYS offer baby back to their mom butt first. I learned that from someone who learned it the hard way.

8. rlittlecritters

rlittlecritters New Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Lynden, Washington
    Ditto Muddy Creek and the others

I had the same problem last August with a doe that didn't want to nurse her kids in the first place. Finally after forcing the nursing the first night and day she was fine. Didn't let them nurse as much as some moms, but enough. Anyway at two weeks they were disbudded and we had to go through the whole thing again.

I had 4 re-disbudded today (scurs started growing). One mom at first didn't want her buck too close, but after a few minutes he got his butt in her nose and then she let him nurse.