The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im just at a loss on what's going on with my little doeling. She is eight weeks old at this time, but she was healthy for the first four weeks of her life, then she got sick with the runs and wouldnt eat much and was shaking. So I treated for Cocci, didnt seem to effect her she still was going down hill, so I got scour halt from TSC started her on this and it cleared the runs up, was also giving electrolytes to get her to eat something. No temp. She got better started eating good again, this lasted for about two weeks.

Now she is eight weeks old, no fever, no runs, eats good. But she acts funny all the time, she doesnt run and play like the other babies, she looks good healthy, eats grain, hay. But there just seems to be something still wrong with her. I just dont get it so I treated with Sulmet this time for five days, she has been dewormed and CD&T shot. I just dont understand what is going on. She stands funny sometimes, I keep thinking her belly hurts but I just dont know what to do at this point. I love this doe and dont want to loose her. what do you all think?

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
You may want to get a fecal sample to the vet and see if the cocci treatment and dewormer is actually working. Sometimes it just doesn't. You may see the diarrhea clear up, but sometimes they are still having issues after treatment.

Has she had any kind of selenium supplement?

Are you sure the pain is coming from her belly or could it be coming from somewhere else?

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
I agree about doing a float for cocci.

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
Have your vet send in a fecal sample to the state lab. Ohio's state lab does a great job on fecal tests.

Have you done any BoSe shots? Sounds like she could use a BoSe shot too.

I agree on the B Complex and Probios too.

·
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I havnt gave bose cause I usually dont give it unless I think its really needed. But if you all think it would help then I will give her a dose, do you know how much would be good to give her. I top dress their feed at times with manna pro minerals but I need to get their mineral feeder fixed so I can feel it back up. Thanks for all the good advice.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
A few years ago we had a cocci outbreak..my regular treatment did not work (sulmet) so I ordered Baycox...it works fast and I only needed to retreat a few...sometimes we just got to change it up...same with wormers...when they stop working we need something new...(which is why its recommended to stay with one wormer until it no longer works, so a resistance is not built against too many wormers) I use Valbazen (1 cc per 10#) as our white wormer ( i use this on new moms, kid under 6 months old and anyone I see tape worm in) and Ivomec plus as our other choice..( I use 1 cc per 40# sub Q for everyone else)

I would have a fecal done and see if you are still dealing with cocci..which would cause discomfort in her tummy..Intestinal worms will do the same...worms hurt..

I def. would do the probios and b complex...and a fecal ASAP..best wishes..

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
what about neomycin oral drench - if its bacterial that will take care of it

Joanie Im going through a similar situation with a 8 week old kid! Its frustrating.

·
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks on the bose dosage, I wasnt sure but I figured about 1/2 cc. but wanted to wait and see what you all said.

Stacey you are right it is very frustrating, and sometimes I just feel hopeless about her. Then sometimes she acts perfectly fine and I think yay its over then she goes right back to acting strange again, so who knows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts