The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost a whether to Cocci a few weeks ago. I now have Baycox ready to go when it is needed. One of my doelings has had diarhhea on and off for a week, but it doesn't seem to be very much. Do you think I should go ahead and give her a dose of Baycox just to be safe? It won't hurt her will it? I'm just nervous to use something so strong on my little babies :confused:

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I would use it. If you had one with cocci chances are your others have it too. I would dose all of the ones that were in the same pen with the wether or the ones that have diarrhea.

It is best to have a fecal done first, and you still can if you want to know if she has cocci or not.

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
I agree.. I dose my kids at 3 weeks old whether they show signs or not...then I treat as needed, If one has signs of cocci or a fecal shows cocci I retreat in 10 days... if you already lost one kid to cocci...treatment is justified..1 cc per 5# then have a fecal done in 2 weeks...see if a second dose is needed...

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I have been using Baycox for a couple of years now. It is one dose if you treat as a preventive. I treat at 3,6,9 weeks and then again before they go to their new homes. If you wait till they have symptoms, then depending on how bad it is, they may need more then one dose. I will treat once, then again 4 days later. We had a bad cocci year. And, I admit I may be a little aggressive in my treatment plan. But, cocci is a KILLER, and I don't take chances.

Make sure you are keeping their feeding area clean, I rake up all old hay, and dispose of it, as often as possible. Then I spread lime several times/summer in their "common areas". IDK if that helps, but, it makes me feel better, lol.

I'm sorry you lost your wether. Watch for what I call a "classic cocci stance". They stand with their four feet together with a hunched back. Their hair gets rough looking, they hang their heads, they just look sick. And, it's not just kids that get it...I almost lost an adult doe to it, early in my goat keeping. She had no diarrhea, I dewormed her, still sick, I thought "is this cocci?" Treated her and she was better within days. I swear she was on her deathbed when that little voice spoke to me...Thank you, Lord.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts