The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my question. I bought a Nubian last year when she was 9 months old. I finally got her bred and pregnant February of this year. She is one month away and wile I was trimming her feet and worming we noticed a lump on the side of her neck, next to her shoulder. Should I be concerned??? I am totally freaking out hoping its not CL. Never had it before. Never seen one before. I can post a picture but only with my cell phone and cannot guarantee the out come of it. Its about the size of a quarter. Not real hard. She is out on pasture with wooden fence posts and trees along the fence line. I cannot find a hole in the center of it. She is not loosing her hair. She has always been different than the other girls. She doesn't get a winter coat like everyone else does. For some reason her tail is always down, never up so I questioned about her health. I have to give her Vitamin B every month for her to feel and look better. She has always had a constant supply of loose and hard mineral since she has been here. I got her because I wanted the milk for my family.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
it looks a bit high for Cl but hard to tell...the lump itself looks like CL..but there are many kinds of cyst that do look like CL...like if you gave her CD&T there, it can cause a cyst..
to be on the safe side I would have the vet lance it when it is soft like a very ripe grape...then test the puss..
if you choose to do this your self...take every care not to allow the puss to touch the ground..keep it flushed with an iodine solution 3 times day until the walls of the cyst are thinned...
a good link
http://goat-link.com/content/view/101/96/#.Ub4BUfaDTL8

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going back threw the old photos and she has had it since May. I cannot believe I didn't notice it till now. The first picture is from May 26th and the second June 1st than the ones up top are from today.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
thats what Im wondering..if its a shot spot ...could you call the previous owner and find out where she gives shots? expecially CD&T...??

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cannot seem to get a hold of the original owner. She doesn't respond to emails and I dont have a phone number. My girlfriend has also looked at it threw my cell phone and thinks its the same thing. A shot. I really have know idea. I do have plans on calling the vet. She is not having any other signs. She looks good. She looks healthy this time around. She is active, quiet(always been quiet), Drinking good, eating good. She doesn't act sick. Here is a more recent picture. I pulled hair away to try and show you what it looks like. Sorry cell phone photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
keep an eye on it...when the center feels thin and squishy...she will need to be removed fromt he herd, you can lance it to clean it out and have the puss tested for peace of mind. if its thick cottage cheese like, it may be CL...sometimes it can be waterier...testing clears the doubt...be sure to do this in an easily cleaned space...cemented floor is best so you can bleach..use a clean disinfected blade,the cyst wall is thick so expect to cut deep.. lots of paper towels to control splillage and a gallon size zip lock baggie to put everything in when you are done..wear gloves...to clean the cyst you need to get under it and push up...this is painful for her so I recommend Banamine before getting started..before squeezing everything out..gather some in a clean vile to save for testing..the squeeze everything else out in a wad of paper towels..keep changing then until its fairly clean then flush with iodine. You will need to flush it 3-4 times a day for 4-5 days or until the wall of the cyst is thin and ready to heal...any scabbing a head of time needs to be opened to flush..always wear gloves and use a ton of paper towels to control the drips and such..use the iodine to clean her whole shoulder and leg where any puss may have fell...once the walls are thins and ready to heal..let her be...once it has healed where no chance of a scab pulling loose or any seapage then she can return to the herd..this is about a 2-3 week process from the time you lance....Do not lance unless it is very thin and soft..go too early and you wont be able to get much out and it will just return..always flush for several days after or left over puss can reinfect and it can return....best wishes..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hole thing is hard. Not thin or squishy. It feels firm. Yes, I was planning on doing the hole vet thing. Now the other question is She is going to have baby's soon. July 12, 13. My thinking was, if it is CL than I take my pick of the doelings(if she has two) because she was bred to a different buck, and bottle feed one and let her raise the other and immediately get rid of the two after the baby is around three months old. Yes, No??? Any ideas??? If she has a boy can he stay on her because he will just be butchered out anyway for eating?? Can you eat an animal with CL?? What about Milking her for us??

·
Super Moderator
59,742 Posts
When exactly did you buy her and bring her home? When and where on her body were shots given? That just really looks like an injection abscess to me too.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I brought her Home Last April. She was 9 months old. Thats what I thought as well, But I also wonder if My other girls rammed her. She is NOT aggressive at all. Low on the pecking order. I have horned goats. Only one is not and she is herd queen but not real mean like the other girls. I was told to never give shots in the neck area by the vet. I was told to either do it in the butt muscle or behind the shoulder under the skin. But in the pictures you can see a very faint lump there. The woman at the time said that she just got her shots so Charm might get a lump. I don't know where in the neck it was given.

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
I do agree..looks more like a shot spot, and it being hard seems more likely...but if it is CL, you take care of it and she heals and never gets another you dont have to cull her or her kids, ...I would def. Seek a vet to have it looked at....

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You certainly need to find out if it is cl before she kids. Get the vet to test it or send the pus to waddl lab yourself. But test test test!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well Vet is coming on Monday to U.S. Mares so I will have him look at her. If I don't have to cull her or her kids, than why have I read not to let the kids nurse off of her? I thought the kids would get it.What about Humans drinking her milk? Can I milk her?? Why would a shot make the lump so big? I just done understand. I am sorry. I was told by my vet to never give a goat a shot in the neck and I just don't understand why The other owner gave it there in the first place.

Thank You for the help.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
you are going threw the vet, so I would just wait and see what he says. If you still dont know what it is by the time she kids for some reason go with your gut feeling, if you feel better taking the kids, take them. Also IMO I would treat it as cl right now, it sounds like cl is not something you want around, so I would put her away from the herd just in case that sucker burst from now to monday.

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
even if its CL which again, its not a likely CL location, but precaustion is always a good idea, you dont have to keep the kids off her..if its hard, its not any where near ready to burst..no need to stress mom or kids over it...IMO ;)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Another thing , you mentioned about giving shots in the butt muscle.
I would be very careful about doing that. Too much of a chance of hitting the nerve and causing paralysis...
Better off in the neck , shoulder area or in the armpit area.
JMO.
Good luck !

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
If it is CL, you would want to remove the kids because you don't know if she has any abscesses anywhere else. Goats have lymph nodes inside their body (and the udder) and can have an abscess on the inside that you don't see on the outside. They can get one in their udder and you would never know it. Giving shots in that spot is pretty common with goats, typically you get an abscess if the needle did not go under the skin, but between the skin layers, or if there was dirt on the animal and they just get a little bit of an infection. I always give muscle shots in the neck muscle. If you ever take a quality assurance class for meat animals it is highly (and I mean highly) frowned upon to give shots in the rear leg muscle. The leg muscle is the largest, and one of the most expensive, cuts on the animal. The idea is that you do not want to risk the quality of the meat by giving an injection as you can end up with an injection site abscess in the muscle. You won't see it from the outside, but when the animal is processed they will find a pocket of pus. This typically has to be cut away and can damage an otherwise good cut of meat. There is also the risk of hitting a nerve that runs right through the middle of the hind leg muscle which can cause permanent paralysis.

Good luck with your vet visit. It looks more like an injection site abscess to me too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts