Need advice for bottle babies!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Bboggs78, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Bboggs78

Bboggs78 New Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Ohio
    Let me start by saying I am fairly new to goats (only a few years in) and constantly learning new things. We had a bad weekend. One of our older does (5 years old) was always our supermom....successfully had triplets, without assistance, past 3 years. Yesterday she had triplets again, as planned. After delivery she cleaned the kids then crashed! We helped the kids latch on where she laid so they could get some good colostrum gulps while waiting for our vet to show up. (Why is it these things always happen after hours, on weekends, etc...?) Anyways, the last kid was born around 10:30 am, vet didn't show up until around 4:00 pm. Sadly, doe passed away despite all our efforts. We took the kids inside to make sure they were warm enough and bottlefed colostrum supplement. They did terrific and vet said they were perfect! Fast forward to this today, they don't want to eat. They are steady on their legs, peeing and pooping but refusing to eat or suckle. All they seem to want to do is sleep. Per my vet's recommendation I did give them each 4ml of Nutridrench. Could this have caused them to go off feedings? How long can they go without milk and still survive? I have raised bottle babies before and never had this happen! I can't stand the thought of loosing them on top of losing their sweet mama.

AlabamaGirl likes this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Temps? How much do they weigh? How much a d how often are you feeding? Are you still doing the colostrum supplement or a milk or milk replacer? Was the colostrum stuff indeed a supplement and not the colostrum replacer? How do their bellies feel... soft, hard round, flat?

AlabamaGirl and GoofyGoat like this.

3. Bboggs78

Bboggs78 New Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Ohio
    Temps are normal. Fed mana pro kid colostrum supplement. They were drinking about 4 ozs every 4 hours until today. Bellies are soft/flat. They pooped initial black tar, now poop is normal milk baby poop (yellowish). The boys are 9.4 & 10.4 lbs respectively and the doeling is only 5.0 lbs. Switched to goats milk (from another doe) this afternoon. I also have kid milk replacer since my one doe in milk isn't producing enough to feed all.

AlabamaGirl likes this.
  4. Wcd

Wcd Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    We currently have Two bottle babies, one that mom passed and another that refuses to feed. We started out with A milk replacer, we have now switched to whole milk, we noticed instant improvement, babies are eating less often, yet are getting plenty to eat, scours are gone. And energy levels are through the roof.

seems like whole milk is better suited for young kids.

Carl47 and GoofyGoat like this.
  5. Bboggs78

Bboggs78 New Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Ohio
    I always use whole milk as much as possible. The kid milk replacer is sometimes mixed into it if I have a shortage of whole milk.

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. Wcd

Wcd Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    Yeah I would never have thought that something that cost maybe 5 times more is not nearly as good as whole milk.

7. Bboggs78

Bboggs78 New Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Ohio
  8. Bboggs78

Bboggs78 New Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Ohio
    UPDATE: They just ate, yay! They woke up and were crying and bouncing all over. Each drank about 4 ozs. again. I would've liked to see the boys drink more, since they're bigger, but was just thrilled they woke up and drank at all! Hopefully they'll continue to do better from now on.

toth boer goats and Carl47 like this.
  9. alwaystj9

alwaystj9 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    Glad they are up and eating! Keep us posted and sorry about their mama.

Bboggs78 likes this.
  10. Bboggs78

Bboggs78 New Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Ohio
    Thanks, this has been a rough weekend. Even though my vet said I did everything right....I still feel guilty.

11. Bboggs78

Bboggs78 New Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Ohio
    The kids are getting mainly raw goat milk from another doe of ours

12. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Pick one milk... goat, whole red too from grocery or replacer and stick with that. Do not randomly change the milk. If you are choosing to mix milks... use the exact same ratio every time.

Weigh the kids daily. A “normal temp”... did you take each kids temp rectally? Not just guessing.

https://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/overfeedingnewbo.html
    This link gives you a formula for how much to feed them a day. The boys are getting a little more than they should be and the doeling is being way overfed. Overfeeding cause cause lots of tummy troubles. You can also try more feeds per day but less milk at each feed. With bb here... the first week or two we feed pretty much any time they want. But they get/want smaller amounts of milk in those feeds. Smaller amounts many times a day is easier on their tums.

toth boer goats and GoofyGoat like this.
  13. Bboggs78

Bboggs78 New Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Ohio
    I took each kids rectal temp but didn't have the numbers on me when I replied. I am weighing and checking temps daily. I don't just randomly mix milks. They are getting a mix that is mostly goat milk with some formula added. 3/4 goat milk, 1/4 replacer. Their first day they got/drank more each feeding on the colostrum because they didn't get it by bottle until the vet was here. The reason they drank 4 ozs that feed (and I allowed it) is because they had refused to eat the prior two feedings. I have a chart for feeding based on weight. This isn't my first time with bottle babies, just the first time I've had them act the way these were. Thank you for all the advice and the link.

14. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

No need to get deffensive at me. I was not trying to be ugly at all.

As the milk.. i asked because it sounded like you may be mixing willy nilly and just wanted to make sure you used the same mixture each feed.

I asked specifically if you had actually taken the temps by the way you worded it. Lots of people jave asked for help and we get that same answer and they have not taken it but the goat just felt warm.

Do not let them eat more at a feed because they missed a feed. It will upset the tums.

You have had bb before ok. But my questions were specific for reasons because you asked for help. We need some specifics to try to help you.

15. Bboggs78

Bboggs78 New Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Ohio
    I wasn't meaning to come across as defensive and I was sincere when I thanked you for all the advice. I really am sorry for coming across wrong. I guess I shouldn't try to reply to convos when I am hitting 3 days straight of no sleep. Again, thank you and sorry

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. Bboggs78

Bboggs78 New Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Ohio
    Yep, all great thanks. The kids are all doing well, eating what they should on schedule now. Thanks again everyone!

toth boer goats and alwaystj9 like this.
  18. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Yay! Boy, kids can go downhill fast, then bounce right back! Hopefully, you have smooth sailing from here on out!

19. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

@Bboggs78 how are your babies now? Any pictures?

alwaystj9 likes this.