Need advice on a long distance move with goats.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by lhorning, Aug 12, 2017.

1. lhorning

lhorning New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Hello All,

My family and I hope to be moving from California to Missouri in about 6-8 months. We currently have a doe in milk, and two doelings. We were originally planning to breed the doe and one doeling this fall, around October-November. How would you do this if it were you? Not breed this year? (Seems a shame, as I have a free breeding to an amazing buck) Breed and move after kidding. Breed and move pregnant does? I have heard the last option is a big no-no. I guess the last option would be to sell and start over, but I really don't want to do this. There doesn't seem to be many La Mancha breeders in the area we are going. Thanks for any advice!

capracreek likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I would not move pregnant females. Otherwise what works best for you.

capracreek likes this.

3. capracreek

capracreek Active Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    What would they be moved in - a horse trailer or in crates in the car?? If it was not too late in the breeding I would not see any problem with moving as long as you can give them breaks. If they walk on leash you can let them out to move around and potty when you stop. I would have lots of nice grass hay for them to eat and be sure to give water. If it is after the 2nd month of pregnancy I would not recommend moving. I have moved pregnant doe's before with no problems but it was early on not later. Are you planning on camping along the way or stay in a motel??? If you camp along the way you could have hubby make a portable fence - with a top on it where you could sit out with them for a couple hours and them graze and relax.

If your breed is not easily available here then I would opt for moving. It puts you a year behind on actually getting things up and running. I live in Warrensburg, MO. So let me extend an early welcome to the show-me state. Just my thoughts.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    6 to 8 months is longer than a pregnancy.
    If you breed now, they will have kids on the ground for about 1- 3 months of age and it would be safe to move them. Depending on way of moving them you may have to separate the kids for the journey, so they are not stepped on ect.

5. lhorning

lhorning New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Thank you all for the replies! We will be moving them in a horse trailer. I was hoping it would be okay to move the babies if we did end up breeding this year. Maybe use a crate within my trailer, so they are still close to the mamas. We do plan to camp, but hope to make quick work of the trip... hopefully only 3 days. With 7 kids, 4 dogs, 5 cats, goats, and 20 chickens(if hubby gets his way) this isn't going to be fun. In fact, I hope I survive, lol. Thank you for the welcome Capracreek!

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. Ranger1

Ranger1 Active Member

Sep 1, 2014
    I would be worried about the stress it could cause on young kids and potential side affects. I'd probably not breed, or move pregnant does in the first two-three months old gestation.

7. lhorning

lhorning New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I was worried 'bout that too. My last thought was to purchase a buck before we leave, and make happy plans for next season. Lord willing, His blessing will fall on them. I just want whats best for everyones health!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you can, take the kids to mama's to nurse along the trip. Be sure no one escapes onto the road ect. It will relieve her and give the kids the milk they need, if they are not at weaning age. If they are 3 months old, they can be weaned then and there, if you want that to happen. But you may have to milk out the doe or watch her udder along the way.
    With the goats, before their trip, you can give all probiotics and fortified vit B complex SQ 6 cc's per 100 lbs, when they arrive at there destination again give probiotcs and fortified vit B complex. Also worming them before helps. If a kid is 2 weeks old or older, they can be wormed.
    After the goats arrive giving them a prevention for cocci meds may help detour that from stress endured.
    You will have to keep a close eye on them, when they do get to their new home, for shipping fever.
    This link will help answer questions about moving goats to new homes and what to watch for.
    http://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/shipping-fever-what-to-look-for.149572/