Need advice on giving doe a shot because no heat cycle?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cinder, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    This is my first fall with does who I want to breed for milk next spring. I had no idea it would be so hard to figure out when a goat was in heat!

I have a 2 yr. old Alpine girl who I've had here since late August. I have literally never seen any signs from her that she's been in heat. Because I didn't want to breed her until November or December I wasn't too concerned. Now, it's getting late in the year for breeding and I can't figure out when to take her to the buck. She doesn't swell or get pink, no discharge that I've ever seen, she flags her tail all the time (and has since she's been here), she doesn't react to the buck rag I have in a jar. I've replaced it twice to make sure the smell is strong enough. I don't know what to do?

I was talking with her previous owner who has the buck I want to use this morning and she suggested having the vet give her a shot that will clean her out and usually will push her into a heat cycle. Does anyone know anything about this shot? Has anyone done it? I have a call into the goat vet but she usually doesn't return calls until evening.

What do you all think I should do at this point? I really would love you thoughts and ideas and help with this.

A couple possibilities:

Bring the buck here. I'd have to make a special pen for him and keep my Nigerian girls locked up securely the entire time he's here. They normally have total run of the place during the day time so I know they would be unhappy... but it's doable.

Bring the buck here and keep him with all my goats. I have three bred does and a wether besides the doe I'm wanting to get bred. Again, I'd have to keep the ND's locked up as they can easily get into the big goat area by going under the fence (it's chainlink against horse round pen panels and they just push up the chain link. The big goats cannot get out.

If I do bring the buck here... will his smell affect my milk? My milk stand is around a wall in another part of the barn but it's open with no door to close between those two areas.

Or, just keep milking her till next year when she comes into heat and breed her then. The breeder said that would probably not be until August and she's only giving 8 to 10 cups of milk a day and I know that it won't go up... we need the milk badly so I wanted her to freshen and give me more milk. She might not continue to milk through that time period so I don't really want to do this.

2. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    When did your Alpine last freshen?
    I know what shot you're talking about, but I can't even think of the name; and I don't know much about it so I cannot help you on that part.
    The smell of the buck will affect the taste and smell of your milk if you have the doe in with him.
    We have our bucks pen right next to the doe's pen, and the smell does not affect the milk, but when we put the buck in with two of our does for breeding (the one doe freshened in June and we're still milking her) the milk was affected so we gave it to the cats until the buck was taken away.

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I believe you are talking about Lutalyse. I think your best option would be to just bring the buck to your property. Sometimes does just don't show many signs of being in heat, but if a buck is close I think you'll be able to tell.

4. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    If I remember correctly she freshened last May, it could have been April.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    she may be a doe that is silent when she is in season...when there isn't a buck around for her to smell...and get turned on with.....they do not seem to show any signs....I know some of mine do that... when you put them in with a buck ...and they are around that buck's smell all the time.. BAM..when they cycle....they are all over that buck....if you can get her in with a buck....she may surprise you and come in .....
    if the buck starts ...chasing her... and doesn't stop chasing.... then you know...she is in.... :)

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Cinder, I am not sure I would use the Lute for that. I would try to get a buck that you can put her with for as long as it takes. I had a doe here for two months because she was a silent heat girl. She is bred we know for sure.