need advice on rescue wether!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Mar 15, 2011.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok....so I got a call today about a little 1yr old pygmy wether that needs to be re-homed fast.....I have only seen a not so great pic, he looks ok by it.......she did tell me he could use a hoof trim, but is up to date on shots......Bones has been so sad since Murphy died that I really want a friend for him and with this little guy being already a yr old, he could hold his own.......she says he is very friendly and loving and lost his buddy this winter.............sorry so long! What should I do as far as preparing for him, should I worm him upon pickup? I will for sure check for any illness, she says he is healthy (but we have all heard that) Also should I keep him to himself for a bit? I sent her pics of our farm and boys and she sounded very excited for him to come here, they were asking $50 for him.....but when I spoke with her on the phone she said after seeing what a great home he would have, I can have him for free....they are moving to Chicago.....We will be going to pick him up tomorrow and I just hope all is good with him......I will have a hard time not taking him, but hubby doesn't want to take him if he appears unthrifty.
    Thanks for any advice! Denise

2. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    I would seperate him, on concrete would be good, and deworm him twice, 21 days apart. just to make sure that any Super-Bugs he might be harboring are deposited on your concrete pad, which can then be COMPLETELY sterilized. I would also trim his hooves and treat him for hoof scald, even if he looked clean. I would also give him a CD/T vacination as too much is better than not enough, in this case. You wouldn't want to infect your other animals with either a hoof problem or a different strain of parasite. I would keep him seperated for 45 days to be absolutely sure he is not infectious AT ALL, personally I would also have him blood tested during this period of time if for no other reason than so You know he is absolutely certifiably CLEAN....JMO

3. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Don't forget to dust him for lice (just in case).

4. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

what product is recommended for lice dusting? I am also getting a new goat this week. We drew blood for cae/cl and are waiting for the results, but I didn't think about lice.

5. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Prozap Zipcide Dust is what I use. My bottle babies were INFESTED back in November. Got this stuff, and while the babies didn't make through their sickness, my other goats did not get lice, since I made sure the WHOLE herd was dusted.

I dust them every few months now, you never know what might happen.

Make sure you dust on a non wet day, in a well vented area, avoid having chickens near you during this time. I hear dyou don't have to dust the WHOLE herd as they will rub each other and spread it, but I didn't want to take chances.

Also be sure to wash up good after applying, the stuff is is not good for our skin, lungs, or accidentally ingested. Be careful when handling.

The stuff is also good for hanging in barns to keep the bugs out. Haven't tried this myself, but it says on the package.

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I agree with (relics) although I only quarantine for 20 days. You can get blood work back in 2-3 days and you will have finished 2 rounds of worming by then so he shouldn't be shedding any parasites.

Can't wait to see your new boy!!!!! :wahoo:

7. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    Lice are a fact of life in a goat herd. They do not need to be specifically addressed in a quarentine because they are not considered that much of a problem. They can easily be eliminated at any time and if you treat one animal Usually you treat them all or you are just wasting your money. If you deworm with an Ivo product most of sucking lice should be killed, if you still feel there is a problem Ultra Boss will kill everything. If the weather permits a quarentine period is a good time to slick shear the goat. Not necessary but any skin problems are easily seen, lice, mites, mange....Again these are not considered quarentinable parasites just nuisances.

8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks guys for the advice....will keep it in mind for the future.......doesn't look like I will be getting him, the lady was suppose to email me address or directions to their place (2hrs away) and never did....she wanted him p/u this morning....once I started asking lots of qustions about him things started sounding not right..they are moving to Chicago this week (like last night), but didn't even start looking for him a home until 2 days ago.....and then she couldn't answer general health questions about him and told me he was really her cousins...Like I told my husband things happen for a reason, maybe it's best I don't go get him.

9. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    ...Sometimes Free Animals don't turn out to be So Free. Someone probably picked him up, No Questions Asked, and are planning an Easter Goat Roast to celebrate their Good Fortune...I will have 20 some kids, hopefully, here in the next few weeks...I must live closer than 2 hours from you. My kids will be healthy and I will answer any questions you might have...A fellow Hoosier Goat Rancher is welcome anytime, if you just wanted to stop by and have a look around...Really most of the kids are reserved but there are always a few around.

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks so much Relics.....but my guys are minis. I really would like to find a wether that is at least 1yr old or older, I know that might not be so easy.