Need Advice plz

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by tat2edlady, Feb 6, 2009.

1. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    I have a chance to buy a small herd of pygmy goats oldest doe goat they think is about 5yrs the rest are about 1.5yrs to 2 yrs there is a 6week old buckling bottle baby that goes with this group.Total goat count from this herd is 10.The lady that I might buy them from said that they might get shipping stress and start to cough and have runny noses and said to put them on a antybotic(sp) for it, to me this does not sound right. she sent me photos of a couple all the does are bred and some will kid in March,May,June and July.I would like to get them but will not be able to keep all the goats totaly seperated(sp)They will have to go into my back yard but my own goats are just to the left out side my back yard fence.I would put them farther away but we just started working on the new 10 by16 goat barn and the back has all the stuff to build with just laying out there.Is this going to cause me probs or should I just pass this deal by and wait till barn is built.

I do have a older shed in back yard for them to get into if need be.

Please tell me any info that you think will help or ask me any questions to help you help me

Mindy

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how far away are the goats? how much is she charging you for the whole herd?

10 goats is a lot of goats.

Have you seen the goats? are they healthy and up to date on worming and shots?

yes goats can get stressed and shipping fever isnt uncommon. A round of antibiotics if needed will do the trick. But not all goats get stressed and if they all stay together that might help them. If you do have to treat them I suggest antibiotics in the water (I have some up in the barter area) as giving shots to 10 goats for 7 days is not fun!

before they come I suggest you have on hand: some VetRx, Nutri Drench, Penicillian & calcium suplement like C.M.P.K. gel for the pregnant goats. Some Selenium Vit E gel too.

All the above can be found at http://www.jefferslivestock.com

3. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    This is the add for/about the goats and I have spoken with the lady she sounds like she knows what is going on about them.She said that she would give me all the records for shots and stuff she has.They would only be traviling(sp) for about 2hours at the most.

1) 18 month old silver agouti first freshner bred to a small white caramel buck, due in late may $75
    2) 14 month old red caramel first freshner bred to tricolor buck, due early June $75, polled, very friendly and sweet, loves people.
    3) 14 month old white caramel doe, very small and well built, bred to white caramel, first freshner, very friendly $75
    4) 5 year old veteren kidder tri color agouti, almost always has triplets, bred to black and white buck, due in late March $100
    5) 18 month old first freshner white doe with brown spots and legs, bred to chocolate buck, due in early May $75
    6) 3 year old Silver agouti pinto buck breeds everything that walks, very nice, $40 proven
    7) 2 year old black and white buck, very small, loves people, would make a great pet if wethered or a nice breeder. proven $40
    8) 2 year old tri colored (mostly white) buck proven $40
    9) 2 year old light silver doe, she is a rescue and can NOT be bred, but she is very sweet and a wonderful pet and loves children. $30
    10) 6 week old disbudded white with some black pygmy bottle baby, easy bottle feeder, thinks he is a dog, lives in the house and sleeps with us, really a great pet. To EXTREMLY good home only where he can continue to live in the house till he is bigger. $40

ALL at least semi tame with all eating out of your hand and gentle. Some will climb all over you and want to be pet. Some will walk on a leash. Must place due to some recent medical news. All are healthy, current on CD/T and dewormings as well as hoof trimmings. Email with the number of the animal interested and I will send you a picture. If you are interested in the entire herd I will take a herd price of $500. If you buy the whole herd I will also throw in their troughs, medicines, vaccines, hoof trimmers, three bags of food and the hay I have left.

4. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    That deal would be hard to pass up if you have the room and $. Is there any CAE/CL free paperwork? I wouldn't do it without that.

All of the goats I've had shipped have had a shot of LA200 prior to leaving for their new home just in case. I always try to have the same or very similar feed on hand and introduce the goats to my regime slowly. That's where most of the stress related illnesses come in, IMHO.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I think that is a good deal also.
    2 hours that is not far at all. They will be a little stressed but I believe they would be fine.
    Before I take my goats on a long trips I give them Nutra Derench for three days before and they are just fine. I would have some probiotic on hand when you get home and give them all some as they are let out of the trailer.

I would also have her give you the hay and grain they are on now so you can slowly add your hay to it and that way they are not switched over to fast.

We want pictures when you get them. :leap: :leap:

6. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    is probiotic a name brand? or just the name of something still new here and learning

7. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    probiotic is the term, ProBios is a brand name of a probiotic. I think.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That does sound like a "deal", but if you are not prepared for that many.....including separating those bucks from the does, it could end up being more of a headache, pygmys will breed year round, not just specific times of the year, if you keep those bucks in the same area as the does, and don't have room to separate them, you will end up with unplanned deliveries.

I would say to go for it, if you have the space and meands to deal with that many at once.

9. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    I do have room but she has bred all the does at this time.I have to finish the Doe's house first and than we are going to work on the Buck's house.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the one Pet only doe would need a separate pen from the bucks and remember that after they kid the does can be bred RIGHT back so they need to be separate from the buck. I would section off your yard for a buck area or skip out on purchasing the bucks.

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Sounds like a pretty good deal. You need to definately to look at them and really take a look at how well theyr'e taken care of.

Also, what makes me nervous is that she said they might look sick/be sick after traveling....makes me wonder if they're already sick and she just wants to get them out of her care before something else happens. Just be sure to look real good at them. But if they're healthy and everything, yeah, i'd say that's a purty good deal. :wink:

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats a good point Kylee. She also might have just be aware that goats can get sick after a stressful time and didnt want a new owner to be surprised at that possibility

13. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    Do you have an actual goal for what you want to do with your goats? After the does kid out, you would have lots of goats. Though Pygmys are actually small meat goats, most folks have them for pets. It's harder to make much money off raising Pygmys compared to the other breeds. If you prefer small goats, perhaps a few registered Nigerian Dwarfs would be a better choice. If you're just wanting lots of pet goats, can afford the upkeep and they're healthy, go for it.

14. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    Well we were all set to go and look at the goats today but she shot me a email last nite saying she had to go to Fla to see a new dr that her dr said she should see.So I will not be getting the herd after all.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I actualy did very well selling my pygmy and nigerian mixes as pets in the past few years. I actually didnt have enough so I had to send people ot other people :shrug:

So she sold all the goats or you just decided that if you cant go see them that you wont get them?

16. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    well you know how you get a felling that something is just not right that is what I felt after reading her email to me last night.I can't explain it, but on the up side hubby is building the goat house that much faster lol

17. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I highly recommend you trust your gut instincts...... leave it alone for a while & see if this lady contacts you again. If she does, and the herd is still available, ask a few more questions about herd health, CAE testing, etc. If you ignore that voice in the back of your head that's giving you pause, you'll probably regret it later.

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I SOOOO agree with following your gut. There is a reason for it! Please look deeply in yourself and talk with your husband about it.

I was one that took everything in, but something told me with a herd reduction from a "friend" that something was not right. I decided to run blood work - 1/2 the herd was CAE positive. Now I do believe she had no clue - but had I not listened!!!

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup always best to go with your gut. :greengrin:

20. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Good job on going with your gut. It will all work out in the end. :thumbup: