Need advice.....sick buckling! UPDATE RIP Carlos

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Farmgirl675, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Farmgirl675

Farmgirl675 New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Yesterday I got a buckling bottle baby....born 1/6/11, Carlos. Long story short I went to buy a doe and ended up coming home with 7 new goats one of which is this buckling......he had a very wet back end and the guy who I bought him from said he had run out of milk the night before so he gave him powdered milk instead and figured that was what "messed up his system". He was very active and seemed no worse for the wear. Got him home washed his backside, gave him electrolytes then 2 hrs later milk, all seemed fine he was still very active and had a normal temp. So I put him in the barn with the others, bright and early this morning I went out and he was crying all curled up in the corner by himself shivering so I brought him in the house gave him a bottle and put a coat on him..still very active but cold. He did poo in the house and it was a soft clump with the starts of berries in it....cool I thought!! About 2 hrs later he was shooting brownish green fluid again :( Gave him electrolyte again and pepto, took temp it was 95 (thought something was off with my thermometer so I double checked with another one..digital 94.8)Now he is wrapped in a blanket with a heating pad under him and is very lethargic.......?? I have corid....should I dose him without a fecal? I also have Pen G and LA200 should I try either one of them?? Please any suggestions I am at q loss......

2. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Re: Need advice.....sick buckling!

Keep him warm -- is he getting dehydrated? You can tube him with warm water or inject subq lactated ringers. He may have e coli. I can't remember what to treat with, I

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I would give him Sulmet, or dimethox, or SMZ. A shot of Pen G wont hurt since he probably has an infection on top of the cocci.

Stop all milk and just give him electrolyte water for 24 hours to get his tummy calmed down. Some probios would be good as well.

4. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

oops -- I hit enter befoe I was done. find something that will absorb toxins in his gut, I use Bio spnge -- made for horses -- would charcoal work? I'm sure Runaround or someone else will remember what to treat e coli with --- also probios.....

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Bio sponge is great, but I can't get ahold of the stuff. lol

Pen G will help if it is ecoli along with a sulfa drug like sulmet or SMZ. Hopefully you can get some of that.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

neomycin oral drench is a good treatment for ecoli -- Its carried at TSC

Or you can use Sulmet (an antibiotic that treats coccidia as well) that RunAround suggested

7. Farmgirl675

Farmgirl675 New Member

Oct 21, 2010

I called and can get sulmet from my neighbor........going to get some now! Thanks for your replies. Will keep my fingers crossed.

8. Farmgirl675

Farmgirl675 New Member

Oct 21, 2010

I also have duramycin-10 (tetracycline hydrochloride) powder we mix with water for treating calves and pigs for ecoli.......can that be used for the goat as well??

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I wouldn't. It's best to avoid Oxytet in kids unless you have to give it because I have noticed it stunts their growth.

Do the sulmet, probios and electrolyte water first. You can add the neomycin too if you want.

10. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

also, neomycin will strip their gut of everything! I'd stay away from that too ---

Runaround -- I'll mail you some Biosponge! You can imagine how long a 2 lb canister will last when the dosage for a baby pygmy is 1/3 teas 2x day! let me make sure I still have your addy

11. Farmgirl675

Farmgirl675 New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Re: Need advice.....sick buckling! RIP Carlos

Well I lost the battle :(

I went to the neighbors for the Sulmet...what they had was a huge tablet that is for calves. So I came back home called TSC they said they had it so I loaded the buckling all wrapped in his blanket into the truck and headed to TSC (40 miles away), on the way there I called the vets office, which is in the same town, they had no time to see him. He was dehydrating fast so I tubed electrolytes. He had his head up looking around for the whole ride. Went into TSC, couldn't find what I was looking for asked the clerk....low and behold they were out!! I said well I called and was told you had it in stock........lady said "sorry computer states we have some but the inventory must be wrong!" GRRRRR Now I am really mad! I picked up power punch and more electrolyte and probiotics. When I got back out to the truck Carlos was dead :( I went over to the vets office, he agreed he thought it was coccidiosis and gave me CORID to treat the others as a preventative measure.

I feel like such a moron.....looking back I can see that he was exhibiting all the classic signs of cocci even when I got him home and I was oblivious to it. My first mistake was believing the guy I bought him from when he said it was from a diet change! I have dealt with cocci in hundreds of calves but never a goat, now I know they both show the same signs and symptoms but since the goat was so much smaller the effects were much more rapid!

I called the man who I got the goats from and he was a total jerk!! If I could have reached through the phone and strangled him I would have! Basically he told me too bad and it was all my problem because I took him knowing he was sick ??? Yeah I took him because he stated that the diarreha was from a diet change and that it had just started that morning!! I have always stood behind my animals and if one dies(especially within 24 hrs) from a disease/sickness that came from my farm I would replace or refund that animal. In our community word of mouth and reputation mean everything, I'm guessing this guy was /is in to make a buck and doesn't care about anything else.

So this has been an eye opening exerience and a huge lesson for me.....I won't make that mistake twice!!

Thanks for reading and allowing me to vent...sorry it's so long!

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so very sorry...... :( you tried so hard.....my heart goes out to you..... :hug:

13. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I'm sorry. Poor little guy. When I got my first baby, Clover, the woman said she was 2 weeks. Turns out she was 2 days. (I didn't know as this was my first) I took her to 2 different vets (didn't know about Dr. Berry at the time) and even though they tried, no one could save her. I think she lived about 2 weeks. She was such a little doll. She is my reason for getting more. :)
    No matter how sad I was over her loss, I could no longer imagine my life without goats. It's because of her I still take in hard luck cases. I don't always save them, but they know love before they leave. :love:

Hugs to you. You tried. Don't give up. People suck goats don't. (well some do but we won't go into that.....Romeo!)

Gina

14. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Ugh! I am sorry -- they're so little and so fragile. You tried your hardest and I am truly sorry!

15. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I'm sorry! I lost a little guy for unknown reasons recently too, so I know how you feel!

as a side note, Corid probably would not have worked anyway. I've seen everywhere that it is not an effective med for goats. Albon or Di-methoxx (sulfadiamethaxine) is a better option. You can get it at Jeffers. We just ordered some to have on hand.