Need Advice, Sick Doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by DebMc, Mar 18, 2011.

1. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    One of my Mini Silky does, Mitsy, is ill. Her left eye is partially swollen shut and had a clear discharge (the fur on that side of her face was wet). She is grinding her teeth a bit, indicating some pain. Her temp is 104. Yesterday she seemed fine. Although under the weather today, she is eating, drinking and playing with her sister, but not as robust or active as normal. I can tell she's not feeling up to par.

I treated the eye with a saline rinse and an Rx optic antibiotic for dogs. I gave her Priobiotics and 2 ccs of Bio-Mycin.

Any clue what could be wrong? Could it be allergies (allergy count is high here)? An allergic reaction to a sting or bite? Is there any type of human antihistamine that's allright for goats? Is the 2 ccs of antibiotic IM enough? I estimate Mitsy weighs 70-80 lbs now. Is there anything else I should be doing for her?

TIA,

Deb Mc

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    You can give her Benadryl just incase is an alergy but rmember it will make her drowsy so don't be alarmed if she seems out of it.

I would give 3 1/2 -4cc because the dosage is 1cc per 20lbs with biomycin.

3. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks, Stacey. How much Benadryl can she have, oral dose? I have 25 mg. dye-free gelcaps on hand. Would it be alright to give her a couple of those?

Deb Mc

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    On the Benadryl, I use childrens liquid and I give my 75 lb wether 5cc's.....my vet told me to give a childrens dose.....he loves it! Slurps it right up!

5. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I only have the liquid-caps on hand and can't leave the house. Our NEW frig died last night and the repair service is going to try to work us in sometime today, while the contents spoil. (Repeat of X-mas Eve.) :cry: So I dare not leave.

I just gave Mitsy the liquid from two 25 mg dye-free Benadryls, mixed it in a 1/4 t of water w/the same amount of dextrose, then syringed it into the back of her throat. She smacked and licked her lips afterwards and didn't run for the hill, must not have tasted too nasty.

Fingers crossed it was just an allergic reaction, and that she's on the mend. I :love: my Mitsy girl.

Thanks for the help.

Deb Mc