Need advice . . .

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sonrise Farm, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    well, my dad is really skeptical about breeding nigies---- he is betting it won't work, I won't get alot, etc. . . for him it has to pay its way thru and if it doesn't . . .
    Anyway, he would blow through the roof in I did CL, and Johnes testing this year. We are kind of 'on the brink' so to speak and he's on the edge.
    So I'm thinking, since the girls are CAE tested, can I wait til maybe June 09 to test them for CAE and CL again or what's yur opinion?

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I would wait personally. . . . not to discredit testing for CAE/CL/Johnes. It's really nice if you can but it's not top priority for us. All of our goats have tested negative for CAE and CL, I probably won't test again until fall next year or spring 2010. We only add goats who are CAE/CL clear (we buy from disease-free herds).

If you can't afford it then I would wait. . . . better to stay on dad's "good side". ;) You'll probably make plenty of money with your Nigerians. Maybe with the money you make from your February kids you can use some to pay for the testing?

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Olivia, I am usually not happy when people are smarter than me . . . but thanks so much. . . . breathing easier now. . . :hug:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    As you all know I am a HUGE advocate of CAE,CL testing and Johnes if I can help it - but for most, money is the deciding factor on alot our decisions. Especially when someone else is paying.

Personally, I will only bring kids onto the ranch from other ranchs that show paper proof of CAE/CL testing of the herd for that year (every single goat must be accounted for) since I can't test the kids till 6 months.

If it is an adult goat, I have the animal tested - if all is negative I bring them home in quarentine, then redraw and test again for negatives - then vaccinate and out with the herd.

Now this is only My way of doing things - and only have I become this "anal" about the situation because of nasty things that I have seen happen. I just can not take the risk of compromising my herd that I have put so much money and time into.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would wait. I personally don't test for Johnes, if someone wanted that done to buy one of my goats then they would have to pay for the testing.

I do test for CAE and will be testing about half the herd for CL next year. It's mostly a money issue. The CL test is more expensive and I can't pay for all my goats to be tested.

Thats just what I do, doesn't mean its right or that anyone should follow what I do. :wink:

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I agree with Olivia, although I will do testing every year, because several of my past buyers have wanted that year's tests, sooo..... Herd health is very important to me, and people like to see the "proof", so I do it..

7. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    we don't test for anything- I know that we should, but we can't afford it-we do have a closed herd and do not buy goats from anyone except from reputable breeders. maybe 2 goats per year- the goats are quarantined for a month. any goat that shows signs of CL or CAE dissappears fast from our herd-even scars from past outbreaks!!! We have had 1 outbreak of CL in 4 years-hated to see her go, but we can't have that mess on our show goats! No problems with CAE I have seen- what is johnes???

8. Candy

Candy New Member

paratuberculosis--chronic debilitating intestinal disease--There is a range of pathology that can be seen in infected goats. Grossly (when the gastrointestinal tract is examined at necropsy), there can be a complete lack of lesions - the intestine may appear entirely normal. In cases at the other extreme, the intestine appears thickened and corrugated and the neighboring lymph nodes are enlarged and edematous. This thickening and enlargement is due to the influx of inflammatory cells to the infected region. These animals are often emaciated with a total lack of abdominal fat stores. There are cases with lesions that fall between these two extremes. :sigh:

Candy

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i test every year for cae and every other year for cl. I do show but try my hardest to keep my goats away from other goats. I put plywood up between herds i dont know and mine, if i can i request to be stalled next to herds i know are clean. I only buy from breeders that can show me their cae negative paperwork.
    i know people that say the most commen way for cae transmition is by people petting an infected animal and then petting a clean animal. Franly unless the animals have open wounds i dont think tis is true.
    I got a pretty harsh warning by a breeder at a show. I was standing a good five feet from his pens just admiring some of his animals and he came up (i dont think he knew i had goats too) saying dont touch the animals (which i dont unless i ask first because thats the way i like to have people touch my animals) because they can get cae and if they get that then they have to KILL them. Well a few minutes later that breeder tromped into the ring with his goats and watched as the judge ran her hands over every animal in the class without washing or putting on hand sanitizer or anything.
    I dont pasturize my milk as long as my goats test negative unless someone who reserved a kid asks me to do so. I feel they grow better on unpasturized milk. Just my personal raising methods. So i guess what im trying to tell you in all my babbeling is if your carful you can get away with testing every other year or so. if someone asks about a particualr breedin and asks if they have been tested you can always test that goat, a lot cheaper then testing the whole herd.
    beth