The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need advice - stunted kid problems

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to raising goats, thus this is my first post. I have been reading a lot and decided it might be best to just pose my situation and question to the goat community.

I have a 6 week old female alpine that I received on earlier this week on Sunday (along with two little 2 1/2 week old bucklings). They are adorable! See picture, the brown one is the female, her name is Maeby :). She has never been able to bottle feed from a nipple so she has been drinking milk straight from a bucket. Because of that and a very short bout of pneumonia she had as a newborn she is stunted and cannot properly eat hay or grain yet. I should note when she drinks her milk from her bucket she sticks her entire face in there and gets a bunch of milk up her nose. For the next hour after feeding she is usually sneezing and coughing up milk but it subsides and she is usually full of energy!

Shes always had slightly soft stool but in the last few days it has changed to mustard yellow liquid that gets all over her. I am thinking some of the milk gets into her rumen causing some of the diarrhea. Something else to note - I've had to switch (gradually) from goats milk (from the family I bought the goats from) to cows milk. The bucklings seem to be doing just fine during the switch.

Last night I took her off milk for the evening feeding and gave her a warm water with some DuMor electrolyte mix (following the package directions), in hopes to help her with the diarrhea. I also gave her the first dose of Corid.

This morning I gave her another feeding of warm electrolyte water and she immediately started shivering. She doesn't seem to have a mess on her bottom like last night, though which is a good sign. The shiver is what really concerns me right now. I purchased a thermometer yesterday to find out it doesn't work. I will pick one up today to check for fever.

So with that I guess my question is - am I handling this right? I plan to give her some milk this afternoon (a little), then a few hours later the next Corid dose, and some milk this evening (if she takes it, if not the electrolyte mix she seems to love it). Like I said before I am brand new to goats. If you have any advice that would be great. If I am being an over concerned new "mother" of goats please tell me!

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Did the breeder have her drinking from a bucket or was she nursing her mom? I would go back and try to get her to take a bottle...and put some grain out and try to get her to eat that. You may have to "teach" her to eat it by mimicking what her mother would do...her curiosity will help. I am worried about the "bucket aspiration" thing...I would consider weaning her early if you can get her to eat hay/grain.

I do not use Corid for cocci...I use Baycox...but a better alternative to corid is Sulmet. I would give her a dose of thiamine and probably some Bo-se. Both from your vet or www.vetserv.com.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the breeder have her drinking from a bucket or was she nursing her mom? I would go back and try to get her to take a bottle...and put some grain out and try to get her to eat that. You may have to "teach" her to eat it by mimicking what her mother would do...her curiosity will help. I am worried about the "bucket aspiration" thing...I would consider weaning her early if you can get her to eat hay/grain.

I do not use Corid for cocci...I use Baycox...but a better alternative to corid is Sulmet. I would give her a dose of thiamine and probably some Bo-se. Both from your vet or www.vetserv.com.
Thanks for your response! The breeder had her on a bucket. She was a runt out of triplets and did not nurse from the mother. The breeder took good care of her, made sure she got colostrum and treated the pneumonia right away.She never got the hang of bottle feeding so has always been on the bucket. They've been raising goats for a long time and told me to use the Corid, gave me some so I would not have to buy any. Do you think I should stop giving the Corid and get the Sulmet? I will try the bottle with milk here soon and work with her on eating grain today. I will call the vet this afternoon too and ask about thiamine and Bo-se. Should I consider giving her some probiotics?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
30,153 Posts
feeding from a bucket is very dangerous...go to goat-link.com and click digestion baby goat for full explaination as to why....to help her take the bottle, put honey on your finger and put in far back onher tongue to stimulate the sucking relfex..do this several times..have a warm bottle of milk ready with honey on the nipple...after gettingher going on your finger well..slip the nipple in ..she will taste the honey first..then the milk..this might take few times..be patient..but keep at it...
yellow poop usually means milk scours...she may be getting too much milk
weigh her and multiply that by 16 to get her weight in oz...then multiply that by 10% to see how much milk she needs per day..divide that into 4 feedings...never feed more than 16 oz at once..its better to add a bottle then feed more at one feeding..
inthemean time give a bit of pepto to sooth her tummy and dry her up some..
of the corid...I would switch..corid is a thiamine inhibitor and can cause goat polio...use sulmet or dimethox instead..Baycox is even better but you need to order it. You cangive fortified B complex instead of thiamine if you ant get it...but do keep thiamine and C D antitoxin on hand at all times...they both are life saving. You dont want to wait until you need them to go get them. Goat-link.com had a link on the top left side that reads..goat medication..go there and click cd antitoxin to learn more about it...
probiotics are always a good choice..

welcome to the goat spot ..we are glad you are here

·
Registered
30,153 Posts
ps..cows milk is a great choice when goats milk is not avaible :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a little update. Could not find any of the medicines mentioned in my town. Gave her some probiotic paste and got her to bottle feed a little milk, although a lot came out her nose even though her head was up the entire time. Her temp is 102.7. She is shivering so much it pains me to see. She keeps chomping her teeth too. Getting fecal sample analyzed tomorrow. Stopped the corid. I was thinking of giving her electrolytes again. It is the shivering and her being slightly depressed (still walking around and chewing on grass just not running and jumping like she was before I gave her corid and electrolyte water last night) that really concerns me. I know she is not "cold" we held her for a long time while bottle feeding and she did not stop shaking. Not much I can do right now. Will try more milk or electrolytes later.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Given that milk is coming out of her nose when she nurses, you might want to check her for a cleft palate.

·
Registered
30,153 Posts
the chomping is her grinding her teeth..she is having gut pain...I would stop all milk...give electrolyts and hay...no feed...she really needs cd antitoxin..might try calling area vets to see if they have any in stock...she needs at least 3-4 cc every 6 hours..if you can not get any at all...she needs to get rid of the toxins building...Milk of Magnesiam (MOM) will help do that but she may scour..I would give 3 cc. If she gets the scours..let it run its course a bit...keep her hydrated is most important...give her a baby aspirin for the pain...since her temp is good she should get better quickly...please do not wait in this..if her temp drops below 101.5 she is in big trouble...it means her rumen is shutting down...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. TSC said they had the antitoxin and they don't (I just drove an hour for it) They have the other one...Going to give MOM now and some baby aspirin. will go out and give her electrolytes every few hours through the night. Any other suggestions? Tomorrow I will call vets and hopefully get the antitoxin. Thanks south for the advice!!!!

·
Registered
30,153 Posts
ugh..dont you hate that ....they always want to sell you either CD&T or tetanus antitoxin..both different meds,..,sorry you drove an hour for nothing.

here is a nice home made electros most goats love and drink eagerly...

2-6 tablespoon unsulfered black strap molasses ( or what ever molasses you have..but thisone has more goodies in it)
1-2 tablspoons either table salt, epsom salt, sea salt or baking soda ( I use baking soda)
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 gallon warm water...

mix and serve instead of milk...
This is great for any age...if moms are not drinking enough water...you can give them a bucket of this too...they seem to really like it..

My only other suggestion is graba cup of coffee or tea and relax...you did good today...keepa watch for runs but as I said, if they come let them run their course a bit..its flushing the toxins..Ill send a prayer up...best wishes

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My only other suggestion is graba cup of coffee or tea and relax...
Will take that advice easily :) thanks for all your help happybleats. I was lost not knowing what to do and I felt so miserably helpless. No one wants to see a goat suffer.

I will update later and I am hoping it will be with good news of a cheerful healthy little goat!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good morning. About to head out to feed the other goats and give Maeby more electrolyte solution. Last night she was still chomping and grinding and shaking. Do you advise to keep giving baby aspirin and MOM again? I am going to try and catch a stool sample today but I don't know if she will have any. Will be calling around to vets today to find the antitoxin. Thanks!

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Given that milk is coming out of her nose when she nurses, you might want to check her for a cleft palate.
I was just going to remind her to check this kids palate...put your finger on her hard palate and press all around. It should feel hard under the mucosa. See if you feel a soft spot or an indentation in the hard palate, sometimes the tissue has an open spot in a "cleft".

If you feel this, you may want to have a vet confirm it, if it's large you will probably be advised to euthanize this kid.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went to vet this morning. She does not have parasites or anything, which is good. She was given some antibiotics. She's getting better already! She does have a cleft pallet according to the vet. Did not mention putting her down. She said she would do some research on possible management strategies to address it. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update. We ended up giving Maeby back to the breeder. They had no idea about the cleft palate and felt horrible for selling her to me. The vet said she needs to be on goats milk and we could not provide that for her so this is her best chance at a longer, healthier, happier life. I know now that she will most likely get sick again some day and they will have to put her down. Such a sad experience with my first goats. The breeders were so apologetic they gave me another goat. She is a beautiful 3 month old alpine, we are calling her Lucy. She beats up on the boys a bit, but I think they will eventually all get along. She is healthy and beautiful, don't you think ;).

Attachments

·
Registered
30,153 Posts
very wise decision..sorry for little doe..but your new gal is beautiful...so glad the breeder was helpful..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts