The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold two kids this week. I sold my buckling and her was 5 1/2 weeks so a few days late for his cd&t booster. His disbudding was healed and he had been very healthy. They were going to put him in with some other young bucks (older by a few months than him) I was called today and they said he died, he had lock jaw and it must have been from tetnis. Just not sure do I give them money back? This just isn't sitting right with me... He was fine 2 days ago before he left, even getting quite frisky which is why I let him go before 8 weeks. Please I need advice, I am so sad right now...

·
14,615 Posts
Oh no I so sorry! :hug:
A delicate situation for sure.
Think on it a few days about what you should do. They claim lockjaw? A few days late on his CDT should be of no consequence.
On the other hand if they put him in with older bucks, how much older?

·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The buck are atleast 6-9 months old if not a year.
His sister hasn't had her booster and she is fine.
Not sure if he had a reaction to the shot they gave him. They didn't have a vet out...
He was so sweet and funny. I am seriously at a loss...
I don't mind refunding the money but I just have a gut feeling I had nothing to do with why. They said his bud area looked white but it was fully healed Sunday evening and we saw a small scur, I was going to find out about reburning but sold him first so we didn't do it. I just have a wired feeling about this situation.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
They put a 5 1/2 week old buckling in with a bunch of 6-9 month olds? Is that right?

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
Sounds like the big kids could have hurt the little guy..I agree with mmiller..I would want a vet statement claiming the death was due to some fault of mine...if you have a weird feeling then listen to it...tell them you are very sorry for the loss...he left healthy and happy and you do not refund with out proof the fault is yours ..too many things can go wrong between leaving your farm and getting to thier farm...Im sorry for your loss and the situation you are in...

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,019 Posts
Aw, I am sorry. :( :hug:

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Last year none of our goats were vaccinated, and they were all fine. I have decided now to vaccinate for tetanus, but that is because they live right next to horses, and horse manure is one of the highest carriers of tetanus.

Anyway, I agree with the vet statement. Since he was young, the older bucks may have been too rough on him. I'm very sorry!

·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They put a 5 1/2 week old buckling in with a bunch of 6-9 month olds? Is that right?
Yes, that is what they were saying.
Thank you everyone!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
It wouldn't take long for the older guys to harass the little guy into heat stroke. Sounds like a case of major mismanagement. I agree with mmiller and happybleats - no refund without statement from vet proving it was something I did.

·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What would a tetanus infection look like? I am still racking my brain on this one.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
tetanus is ugly..

the incubation period for tetanus can be from a few days to several months,but is usually ten (10) to twenty (20) days. Early symptoms include a rigid gait, mild bloat, and anxiety. Tetanus quickly progresses to the animal's being unable to open its mouth (hence the term "lockjaw"), a rigid extension of the legs (front legs extended forward and together, with back legs extended backwards and together in a rocking horse- like stance),excessive salivation, constipation, inability to stand, neck stiffness with the head pulled hard to one side and accompanying tail and ear rigidity, and seizures. It is not a pretty sight. Once the goat is down and can't get up, death occurs quickly (usually within 36 hours or less).

from tennesseemeat goats..here is the full article
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/tetanus.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts