The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Nigerian/Nubian mama had triplets on June 13th. They all three were growing and gaining, but I have noticed they are not gaining as well now. So I started taking in a bottle in and the baby buckling is all about it for the last three days he is ready when I come with the bottle. I have tried to get the sisters to take the bottle but they will not. I have only seen mom let them eat once and a while and she doesn’t let them eat more than a few seconds, then she jumps over them and leaves. I have noticed them are eating alfalfa and drinking water. Should I be worried? They are all active running playing. I’m just trying not to worry to much.

·
8,163 Posts
They may need more milk than the mom can produce. It's good you are supplementing with a bottle. They are also coming up on prime coccidea age. It might be a good idea to take a fecal sample to the vet to check for parasites and specifically, coccidea.

88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very new at all this. What is the FAMACHA score? What is the grain she should have? She is getting alfalfa, and Bermuda hay and about a cup of sweet pellet I can remember what kind. She has free access to a mineral block.

88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They may need more milk than the mom can produce. It's good you are supplementing with a bottle. They are also coming up on prime coccidea age. It might be a good idea to take a fecal sample to the vet to check for parasites and specifically, coccidea.
I thought that may, but the two doelings will not take the bottle. The buckling is take the bottle great, he get really excited when we come to give it to him.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Google "Goat FAMACHA" and watch a video. It's a way to check for anemia which is typically caused by parasites. Parasites can cause low milk production. Young goats and goats that just kidded are quite susceptible to parasites.

Yes she will definitely need more grain than 1 cup to raise triplets. Can you post a photo of the tag of feed and we can help? Slowly begin increasing that each day.

Continue offering the buckling the bottle twice a day to help her out and don't force the doelings but offer them once daily just to try.

It's hard for goats to get enough minerals from blocks. You should also purchase and provide loose minerals which are sand consistency. You put them out in a dish somewhere off the ground and under cover. Just put out a half cup or so at a time and refill as needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts