The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 six week old kiko goats. They both are now refusing to take a bottle. The bigger one is about 17 pounds and the smaller is about 16 pounds. They were both eating fine then night before last the bigger one (Houdini) refused is night time bottle. He ate about an ounce then quit. The next morning was the same and the rest of the day he wouldn’t take even the ounce. The smaller one (spot) started refusing the bottle yesterday afternoon. They both seem fine - no bloated stomachs. I add 5cc of vegetable oil to their milk -as per my vet. The are eating hay and drinking water. Their poop is normal and they are peeing but it doesn’t seem like they pee as much at a time as before. Just don’t know what I’m missing. This is my first time trying to raise goats so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Have a fecal done to rule out coccidia and worms. Take their temp to make sure it is between 101.5 and 103.5. What kind of milk and how much are you feeding them? Also, are they eating feed or hay? Are they doelings, bucklings, or wethers? Have they recently experienced any stressful event like castration, rehoming, chased by predators, disbudding, change in feed/bottle, etc?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2 six week old kiko goats. They both are now refusing to take a bottle. The bigger one is about 17 pounds and the smaller is about 16 pounds. They were both eating fine then night before last the bigger one (Houdini) refused is night time bottle. He ate about an ounce then quit. The next morning was the same and the rest of the day he wouldn’t take even the ounce. The smaller one (spot) started refusing the bottle yesterday afternoon. They both seem fine - no bloated stomachs. I add 5cc of vegetable oil to their milk -as per my vet. The are eating hay and drinking water. Their poop is normal and they are peeing but it doesn’t seem like they pee as much at a time as before. Just don’t know what I’m missing. This is my first time trying to raise goats so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Have a fecal done to rule out coccidia and worms. Take their temp to make sure it is between 101.5 and 103.5. What kind of milk and how much are you feeding them? Also, are they eating feed or hay? Are they doelings, bucklings, or wethers? Have they recently experienced any stressful event like castration, rehoming, chased by predators, disbudding, change in feed/bottle, etc?
I haven’t taken their temp yet. They are on goat milk replacement. They are eating some hay but not feed yet. They are buckling a. They were eating 16 ounces 3 times a day. No new events

·
Registered
889 Posts
Take their temp. If their temp is within normal, let's look at possible parasites or nutrition related issues. A shot of b vitamin complex (Tractor supply or your local feed store should have this) will perk up their appetite, and probiotics would be a good start as well. However, if they have free choice hay and are nibbling on fresh browse, they may be starting to get all they need. Weigh them often and verify they are gaining weight. You mentioned they don't seem to be peeing as much, do they have free access to clean water? My next thought would be urinary calculi, but that is more common among wethers. As a side note, whole milk from the store is much better than milk replacer in my opinion. Maybe some others can offer more advice.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Ok. So milk replacer causes allot of issues in young babies. Whole cows milk is better or goats milk if you can get. I would definately check temps because if you are feeding them when their core is cold it could do harm as well. Put a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle. This sounds like dehydration to me. You may not know this but milk replacer can cause that. Put water buckets every where. Also hay free choice.

·
8,483 Posts
Try giving small buckets of warm water. (if you are going to switch
to cows milk) Offer bottles of electralytes for a day, then switch over to plain old whole (red top) grocery store cows milk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.