need an answer soon

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by gotgoats, Feb 28, 2009.

1. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I have a buck born yesterday...biggest of the 3....he's been doing fine until tonight. Noticed he is belly breathing, rapid, and shallow. He was lying slightly distanced from the other 2. Took his temp 102.9. He fell at the first try of getting up, after that he was up and around ok. Put him to his mother, drank, sneezed after one drink but suckled okay but not vigorously. (His belly doesn't feel as full as the others).
    I held him to my ear and sounds like rhonchi. I listened to the other 2 and do not hear anything similar to this. (it is not rattly sounding, more rubbing).
    Suggestions? I am thinking about giving la 200. How much? Other thoughts.... thanks :worried:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    his temp seems normal....he may of got some milk into his lungs....

have you looked in his mouth... is his tongue/pallet normal?

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Has he had any BO-SE?

4. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    his mouth maybe a little pale compared to other. Ears aren't drooping but not perky.
    Vet told me he doesn't feel bo-se necessary in this area. He acted reluctant to give me a prescription when I discussed this with him. He sd. area not deficient and if giving feed with selenium and minerals with SE that I should be fine. This was about a couple months ago.
    Going to out to give pcn.
    open to ideas...

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    His temp is normal, and the fact that he will eat is a good sign. Hemay even have a bit of birth fluid in his airway. I know this isn't a conventional method but sometimes what I have done a day following delivery is to thump the baby's ribcage while holding them upside down...it helps get the leftovers out and makes them cough. Keep his temp checked often to make sure it stays normal and encourage him to eat.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Well this might be worth a try as it did help with my baby. Squirt some Vitamin E in the baby's mouth. The E helps with the absorption of selenium and also helps with white muscle disease and keeps them sucking. The normal dose is 1 400IU capsule.

7. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I gave him a dose of la 200 and a dose of power punch (it does have selenium in it). I will try the vit e tomorrow when store opens. Seemed to have trouble when swallowing when I gave it the power punch. Right now, I'll have to watch and wait.

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The power punch has selenium and vitamin E in it.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I hope the LA 200 kicks in and he starts to feel better. Anytime a kid isnt acting right and there is a chance for pneumonia they can go down hill very quick.

Praying that is what he needed and he is back to his old self quick as a wink

10. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    Checked him this morning. His breathing is still fast (but slower than last night), and doesn't to appear to be as labored. When he stood, he made gurgles in his throat and a cough. After being up and around awhile I never heard it again. He plays with the others and wags his tail maybe a little less bouncy then the others. His lips and tongue are pink.
    I think he nurses different than the others. He'll suck for a few seconds then he slowly slides the tit out of his mouth, waits a second or so, and then nurses more. He did this multiple times. The others just seem to suck and pause and just hold the tit in their mouth before continuing. To me, she looks like she is very full but not engorged. Do you think since he is breathing faster, he has to stop to catch his breath, or that the milk is just coming too fast for him to drink? Otherwise, seems healthy. The others seem to be doing fine and not having trouble.
    I am going to continue the LA 200 and the power punch.
    Liz, I was wondering about fluids from birth in his lungs, I'll give that a try too. For some reason, I didn't see your post last night.
    Thanks

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Glad to hear hes doing better.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He does sound to be doing better...theway he is nursing is indicative that he is holding his breath while sucking. Some babies have to "learn" to breathe at the same time, he will get better at it, you just need to be sure he continus to eat.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Liz.... :wink:

14. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    This morning I was glad to read that it is probably not something wrong with his swallowing. Tonight, he seemed to do better at it. He still remains the same. He breaths twice as fast as the other 2 still, but still wags tail and ears up, nurses and gets around. I am continuing the power punch and la 200. I don't hear as much noise when he breaths when I listen to his chest.
    I am hoping we are on the right track to being well. I appreciate everyone's help.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I will pray that the baby will continue to get better....sounds like ...day by day ..there is improvement.... :hug: :pray:

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats good news, I hope he is continuing to do better.

A couple months ago someone had a kid doing the same thing - was it you Keren? - and he would fall down fainting like after eating then get back up and suck again. It was like he was holding his breath to nurse. He figured it out and was ok the last I heard

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Glad to hear that he is doing better. I would also give him some Nutradrench. I hate to give babies that young antibiotic unless it is totally necessary.

18. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yep, that was me, we called him Dizzy. He was so keen on drinking that he would get over excited and pushed his nose right up against mum's udder, and so he was blocking off his nose and passing out from oxygen deprivation. We put him on a bottle since he couldnt block his nose off with that. He was all good, sold him off as a pet on the bottle.