Need answers about B vitamins

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Nov 13, 2007.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I see that their are a good many goat owners that give B vitamins when goats are stressed, ill or after kidding. I was just wondering how "Red Bull" energy drink would affect a goat.( I don't touch the stuff! Coffee is enough for me!") A freiend of mine showed me the ingredient list and I noticed that besides caffeine...which is ok for a goat needing a jumpstart...there is 250% Vitamin B6, 80% Vitamin B12 as well as 100% Niacin, 50% Pantothenic Acid.....was only wondering. If you've ever seen the TV commercial for Red Bull....it would be funny to see a goat sprout wings and fly!! Guess thats what the caffeine is for!

2. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    I would never give a drink like that to a goat. It would not alleviate stress but cause it. When giving coffee as a stimulant to a goat that's down, I give 1/2 or 1cc at a time, spread out.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Also, we are talking those Vit numbers are for the whole can. :shock: :cool: Could you see a goat on a whole can of that? WOW, they would go crazy. I do understand what you are saying to give them a boost of energy, I think in a REAL pinch I would use it, but I would not have any around so it really does not matter.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It wasn't that I would give my goats this stuff....I was only wondering about the Bvitamins....besides, I do know that anything in moderation isn't always a good thing. Caffeine raises the heart rate as well as a short lived burst of energy....too much will cause problems...I know that. Can you OD a goat on B vitamins? And it's not something I have on hand...like I said I don't touch the stuff...was just curious about the contentt of B vitamins...and if I would ever need to give my goats B vitamins this seemed to be an answer as it is readily available.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    A bottle of fortifed B complex is something that is very essential to your medicine cabinet. If I have a goat htat is acting really off, I give them 6 ccs of B sub-Q and they are usually fine the next day. I give 3ccs for babies. You can't OD a goat on B, any excess is passed in the urine.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you have a TSC or even check Jeffers online. B Complex is really cheep.

7. moonspinner

moonspinner Member

Oct 5, 2007
    western NY
    B-Complex is probably at the top of my list of essential supplements. I can't tell you the number of times it has worked like a charm to kick start the rumen when one of my goats is "off" - not eating and not chewing its cud. It works pretty quickly too.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So if ever I had a need to give the B's...TSC has it. OK then get the stuff specifically for livestock and don't use the red bull. Was only wondering if it could be used ...we use pepto and milk of magnesia for our goaties...was just thinking this could be a substitute. Thanks, was just a thought. :D

9. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I agree with the others on the b complex. And it wasn't expensive either. :D I have used it before with great success. :D

10. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    there is the B-complex, and there is the fortified B-complex. i would always buy the fortified, because it has enough thiamine in it in case of an emergency like polio or listeriosis.
    i think TSC has only the B-complex but jeffers has a good price on the fortified.
    i would not give red bull or any other energy drink to my goats because it has too much caffeine,too much sugar and i'm not sure they would enjoy the fizz? :roll:

11. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i agree whith the rest i would not give my goats red bull. like said before the fortified b complex is cheap enough & as soon as i have one that looks off a little first i get a temp then i give them a shot of b fortified complex. it is one thing that i always keep on hand. i wouldn't wait to get it untill i needed it.

12. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    I agree with the fortified B complex. It's worth it to have so much thiamin in it.

13. moonspinner

moonspinner Member

Oct 5, 2007
    western NY
    I wouldn't even entertain any thoughts of using red bull on goats. The fortified B is the way to go.

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Like I had mentioned, I just figured that the red bull had ALOT of B vitamins and was just wondering if it would be ok for goats. IHAVE NOT USED IT. The only thing my goats have ever needed was the nutridrench and occassional dose of antibiotics. I haven't had a need to use the B vitamins. There are so many remedies that CAN be used on goats that humans use also like mollasses, coffee ,vit C lozenges, ACV. Gatorade...etc. I only figured that if "we" can consume it that it would be an ok substitute for a goat. As with anything that I would "wonder" about with my kids, I double check with others like you BEFORE I would do it. Also my vet said the same thing as everyone has....too much caffeine and it's not even a good thing for a human. :D Besides that my goats have a very good diet available to them at all times and unless theres an illness preventing them from eating what they need I won't have to supplement any extra vitamins.

15. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    every time, a goat needs antibiotic, i administer b-vitamin as well, always with no exceptions. a goat that is sick( or she wouldn't need antibiotic :wink:) is stressed. b vitamins help a great deal to coupe with stress.
    antibiotic is anti live. rumen and intestine are compromised because beneficial bacteria are killed as well.. very often we can see diarrhea after antibiotic treatment. b-complex helps to prevent that.
    you might want to say you have not used it yet, but the need was there :wink:

16. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Actually, the need wasn't the case....it was just something I thought may have been able to be substituted in the case there was a need....like we substitute yogurt for probiotics and gatorade for electrolytes and apple cider vinegar for ammonium chloride.

I have been fortunate enough to not have any major illness with my kids...the antibiotic use is mainly for after delivery or in the event that I need to help, the last time was when Boots delivered a single and I thot for sure there was another...so I went in to check...she was on Penicillian for 5 days.

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I to never have used B complex. I have it in case of emergency but haven't needed to use it yet.

I to have given antibiotic shots but never gave B complex following.

Just because it is your herd management it doesn't mean everyone feels the same way.

My little herd is doing very well on the management I choose to take.

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My management is also different than many I have heard others use, it works for me just as theirs works for them. My kids are happy and healthy preggy little does and rotten little bucks, haven't had any complaints from them yet :p

20. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    everybody has to do what feels right :wink:
    i had times if a doe was off, gave her vit b and did not need antibiotic :shrug:
    ACV is no substitute for AC. the amount you would have to give would change the ph in the rumen so much that it will through the rumen out of balance.
    ACV is healthy in small amounts and some goats like it so much that they will drink more.