Need Disbudding/Scur Advice

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by prairiegal, Oct 7, 2010.

1. prairiegal

prairiegal New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Hi all-
    Need some advice-
    I have a 5 month old Nubian doeling. She was disbudded around 4-5 days old, but she has a scur (horn?) coming back on one side now. It's less than an inch long- but want to catch it before it gets any bigger!

What would be my best option to fix this? Banding, re-burning, etc?

Thanks for your input!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I actually have the same problem with my 6 month old buck so if you don't mind me sneaking in for the advice also. My mentor/local breeder said I could reburn him with a cattle dehorner but not sure.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    try wiggling it like you would a loose tooth for a couple days. If that doesnt work then using an elastrator band would be your best bet.

4. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I had scurs coming in on a buckling I had and I did what Stacey suggested. I just wiggled it. Since it was so very tiny it just kind of fell off after I fiddled with it for a while. I did both sides like that. But now they are coming back, so I have to keep checking them and "wiggling" them off.

5. prairiegal

prairiegal New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Thanks!! I have never heard of the wiggling before- will definitely try it!

6. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    This may seem silly, but couldnt you just reburn after you wiggle the thing off? :shrug:

7. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    My Saanen buckling has/had scurs but him and another buckling were headbutting and broke his "Potato chip scurs" off. So if they are small enough on your goat, I wouldn't see how doing anything others have suggested would hurt. If you decide to do take it off and its semi thick, keep some blood stop powder or a disbudding iron preferably on hand to cauterize just in case of bleeding.