The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s not been a good experience with this last kidding but certainly could be worst!
I am now looking for advice on one of the bucklings born to my FF with the uterine infection. This little fella has lost energy and walks around like his “feet” hurt: He doesn’t stand or walk for long at all; when he walks it is slow and sort of stiff, his suck is very week; and he has a temp I have not been able to get below 103!
I have been giving him ACV with molasses and water-3 cc at a time. I offer him a bottle but he just doesn’t really take it so I have been feeding him milk by syringe but will only take about 12 cc at a time-about every two hours.
I gave him Selenium and Vit E gel at birth (he was fine at birth) then again yesterday and I have not seen any change. He is 7 days old, navel looks good, in a large pen with mom and sibling alone, sibling is fine.
I have no idea how to dose such a small/young goat so I have been giving him 1/4 aspirin tablet. He weighs approximately 7 lbs

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
103*F is a normal goat temperature. Anything between 101.5-103.5*F is fine.

However, it does sound like naval/joint ill, despite his naval looking normal. Any heat or swelling in the joints that you can detect?

Was he active, hopping, and nursing vigorously for the first few days of life?

An injury would also be a possibility of course.

·
Registered
29,954 Posts
Is there any swelling in joints? Normal temp range is 101.5-103.5..so 103 is ok, but definitely on the high end. Joint ill comes to mind when legs are painful. Feel his joints and surrounding tissue for swelling and or heat.
Treatment is 10 days of a good antibiotic..best is Baytril. If you can get rx..the la200 is best otc choice.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
103*F is a normal goat temperature. Anything between 101.5-103.5*F is fine.

However, it does sound like naval/joint ill, despite his naval looking normal. Any heat or swelling in the joints that you can detect?

Was he active, hopping, and nursing vigorously for the first few days of life?

An injury would also be a possibility of course.
104-105 is the highest his temp has been and the lowest I can get it 103, I was thinking 102.5 -104 was ok but not 104-105
I do not see any swelling nor heat in the joints
Yes he was eating and acting normally for the first 3-4 days

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any swelling in joints? Normal temp range is 101.5-103.5..so 103 is ok, but definitely on the high end. Joint ill comes to mind when legs are painful. Feel his joints and surrounding tissue for swelling and or heat.
Treatment is 10 days of a good antibiotic..best is Baytril. If you can get rx..the la200 is best otc choice.
I have antibiotics but I have no idea how to dose him. I cannot get my hands on Baytril all
I have are OTC options

Reactions: happybleats

·
Registered
29,954 Posts
With battling a high temp and him feeling so bad I woukd elect to do antibiotics. What do you have on hand? We can help with dose amount

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With battling a high temp and him feeling so bad I woukd elect to do antibiotics. What do you have on hand? We can help with dose amount
I have PennG and I can get LA200 and I have a friend that has off brand Baytril

·
Registered
29,954 Posts
Off brand baytril is fine. It's 1 cc per 25 pounds sub q once a day
Penn g is 1 cc per 20 pounds 2x a day
La200 is 1 cc per 20 pounds once a day..stings alot.
If joint ill is even slightly in question..go 10 full days.
A shot of banamine for pain 3 days to start is good idea. The faster he feels better the better he will eat. He will feel like a pin cushion before long..be strong..choose different injection spots. Give probiotics 3 hours after antibiotics to help his tummy. ((Hugs))

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Off brand baytril is fine. It's 1 cc per 25 pounds sub q once a day
Penn g is 1 cc per 20 pounds 2x a day
La200 is 1 cc per 20 pounds once a day..stings alot.
If joint ill is even slightly in question..go 10 full days.
A shot of banamine for pain 3 days to start is good idea. The faster he feels better the better he will eat. He will feel like a pin cushion before long..be strong..choose different injection spots. Give probiotics 3 hours after antibiotics to help his tummy. ((Hugs))
Thank you! I am not convinced it is naval ill but I do now you have to treat that aggressively and that there is something definitely going on. I am not going to be able to get the off brand Baytril tonight so I am going to start with PennG til I can get it tomorrow.
He is only about 7 lbs, the dosage is hardly worth the stick bless his heart :/ he doesn’t have any meat on him :(
Thank you for your help and encouragement :)

·
Registered
29,954 Posts
It is hard to give tiny ones shots. Just try to lift a good tent. Pull back the plunger and check for blood before injecting. No blood is good to go..see blood re adjust and try again. You got this!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is hard to give tiny ones shots. Just try to lift a good tent. Pull back the plunger and check for blood before injecting. No blood is good to go..see blood re adjust and try again. You got this!
Oh yeah, I am good to go giving shots but they are so little and this little guy has lost a little weight :(
But I got home from work and he was walking better, and took 2 ounces of milk. I gave him his shots and now we are cozied up on the couch! I will put him out with his mom some tomorrow :)
IMG_1343.jpg

·
Registered
29,954 Posts
Awe..hes a cutie!! Hope he rallys for you quickly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts