Need HELP!! Anemic doeling!!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Boers4ever, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Last week I took my 8 week old doeling to the vet because of anemia. It was waaay worse then I thought. Her red blood cell count was 6!!! The vet specializes in goats and did an emergency blood transfusion. I took a fecal of the whole herd and everyone had a worm overload. Muffin, the doeling, and my two other kids had coccidia. The whole herd was treated. Muffin was doing much better until yesterday. She is anemic again. I’m afraid that I’m gonna loose her. I bought some red cell and I gave her 1 1/2 ml. She’s 12 pounds. How can I save her? What more can I do?

2. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    IMG_4288.jpg

This is a pic of Muffin.

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
  4. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    red cell, 6cc per 100 pounds. She really needs that hon. Is she scouring? When was the last copper bolus? Keep her hydrated. Get her on high protien feed, they loose weight unbelievably fast with worms. Rumen bolus or dark flat beer. Take temp. What worms? What dewormer did you use? The blood transfusion is good, but will only take her so far.

5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Give her red cell 1x daily. Try leaves, to get her to eat.

Lets do 4-6 cloves garlic daily. do yall have an herb garden? Thyme, rosemary, cilantro, basil, all may help.

Milk of Magnesia. Just one dose, it make them scour, but she needs a flush out.
    she really needs a chemical dewormer as well. Do you know what worms?

6. jschies

jschies Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    You need to get her back to the vet today. Young goats can die quickly. Make sure that whatever is making her anemic is gone!!

Then you need to be sure that she is getting B complex at least once a day, twice would be better. I would give a separate B12 dose everyday too. She either needs Red Cell or injectable iron.

Is she still getting milk?

Moers kiko boars and happybleats like this.
  7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    High worm count does alot of damage. Along with anemia treatment, If shes not eating well..feed smoothies with dark greens, carrots, celery, apples banana, garlic, yogurt in electrolytes blend smooth. Can add dark beer..any safe fruit and veggies.

8. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    She doesn’t have scours and is eating a drinking a little bit. I’m waiting for the vet to call me back. I have an energy drench that I mad last week. It has corn syrup, molassas, and corn oil. Mixed with water to make it thin. Should I give that to her?
    Also, her mama doesn’t make much milk and I’m thinking that her brother gets what is there. Mother goat definitely cares about the boy more then Muffin. Should I start bottle feeding her whole cows milk? Or will that mess her stomach up?

9. jschies

Aug 14, 2014
    This is a 9 week old 12 pound baby. She should still be getting milk. Would the smoothies be too much for her to digest?

10. jschies

Aug 14, 2014
    Dehydration can make their eyelids pale. I would try a bottle of whole cows milk and see what happens.

11. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Yes, she really needs to be bottle fed. at 8 weeks, she should probably be closer to 20-30 pounds. Get her on calf manna too... B 12 shots from the vet too

12. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Ok thank you. I will pick up a gallon of whole cows milk. And some B12 shots. I’m still waiting on the vet to call me back. When I took her last week I asked about her weight and they said that she was normal size. She is full blood boer. Another kid I have weighs 30 pounds easy, they’re the same age too. What about the drench? Should I give her some of that until I can get some milk this afternoon?

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  13. jschies

Aug 14, 2014
    Yes, give her some of the drench now. She is really small for that age if she is a boer.

14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Smoothies wiould still be ok..in small amounts. She needs nutrients. If she will take a bottle of milk that of course would be ideal.

15. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Ok my parents are picking up some whole cows milk from the grocery store. I talked to the vet and she has some B complex and injectable iron that they will also pick up. I think She will take the bottle. The vet said that there isn’t much else to do except to keep giving her the red cell and give her the B complex and try the bottle. I’ll keep trying to get her to eat what she wants.
    Should I separate her if she takes the bottle, or will that just stress her out more? She is walking around a little and got up to get a drink a few min ago.

16. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Puchase some Dyne. It will help restore.nutrients& vitamins. It has fat that she will need
    Get electrolites for goats..example bounce back..mix that up..adding the Dyne and give her 2 feedings a day added to her bottle feeding.
    With her being so small. I would give her 20cc Dyne + 10cc bounce back or electrolytes mixed with water.
    She will need B complex & iron like red cell. I would give her Nutri drench one pump.every day. Watch her temp closely and do Famacha 2xs a day.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  17. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    She may need iron injection instead of red cell.

happybleats and Moers kiko boars like this.
  18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Be sure not to do both red cell and injectable iron. Choose one or the other. If you choose injectable iron, have epinephrine in a syringe ready or a large dose of benedryl in case she has a reaction to it. Epi is 1/4 cc per 25# IM.

Tummy Tamer wouldnt hurt either..
    1 teaspoon each
    cayenne pepper
    ginger
    cinnamon
    slippery elm
    ACV and black strap molasses
    blend well in enough water to drench.
    You can split this in to 2 servings for her tiny self.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  19. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Has the goat been treated for worms??

happybleats likes this.
  20. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    That is great that you have a good goat vet!
    Did the fecal show which parasites Muffin has? Those need to be addressed.
    Did the vet mention if another blood transfusion would be helpful?
    You have gotten good advice. I would say to do B12 shots multiple times (at least 3) a day and make sure she stays hydrated. Red cell once a day.