Need help! ASAP! (Eye clouding)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Riot_My_Love, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

We think Jasper (a 2008 nubian wether) my have a cataract in his right eye. He still has vision but the eye is clouding and his eyelid is partial closed the majority of the time. Are there any antibiotics I can give, or medicines for pain? Bantamine? We have a horse that is bling in his right eye and cloudy in his left the we give Bantamine for... Dang I feel that I'm repeatedly spelling that wrong. Any advice?
    :whatgoat:
    Thanks.
    Amanda

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like Pink eye.

Give him a shot of LA 200 and squirt some into his eye too (enough to coat it). You will need to repeat this till he is better. It usually takes a week

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I've used penicillin, and la200 would would too, just squirt on the eye. and use terramycin oitment also

4. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

It is not pink eye. The eye is not gooey just clouded at the pupil.

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    that clouding can be a form of pink eye too. the aforementioned treatments will help. make sure you check thoroughly to make sure nothing is in the eye, like a grass seed or something similar. Open the eye as far as you can and roll it around to get a good luck, sometimes its really hard to find whatever foreign material is in there.

I use terramycin powder

6. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    We've used the cheap red wine-put some in a spray bottle and spray a bit in the eye-it burns a bit the first time but isn't so bad if you have to spray it again. Clears up the irritation.

7. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    It still sounds like pink eye . . . pink eye can look devastating, but it's usually self-limiting (which means they get over it on their own). Try the terramycin or you can get some drops from your vet if it persists. I would isolate my affected goats (so they wouldn't infect the others) rinse my goat's eyes with regular human saline drops, and they would usually get over it in about a week to 10 days.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I don't think it is pink eye. I have goats that get this and mine have never had pink eye. It is more just a irritation, from hay, dust or something that got in it.

Take two tea bags, soak them good in water. Hold one tea bag o each eye, re wetting as needed to keep them good and wet. Do this at LEAST 5 minutes at a time three times a day for a week, (full 7 days). After you take the tea bags off put like neoprene in each eye. They will clear up.

9. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Keratoconjunctivitis (pink eye) can actually be cause by dust, debris, allergies, flies, stress, or junk that flies into the eye causing irritation. There's an infectious form of pink eye too . . . that's the one we most commonly think of with children, etc. and that's where isolating the animals is a big deal to prevent it from spreading. By just looking at the eye you can't tell the difference between infectious and non-infectious pink eye . . . so we treat them about the same too. :D Tea bags should help remoisturize the eye and the warmth will help with the pain and draw out any infection. That's a great suggestion! :thumb: And a natural one too! :greengrin:

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I guess where people get confused, is sometimes the term pink eye is used for any injury/irritation to the eye. I know I am guilty of that, if an animal gets a grass seed or hay in the eye, and it gets weepy, or irritated in any way, I tend to call it pink eye. Even though true pink eye is a contagious thing.