Need help ASAP... kidding problems!!! **update**

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by myfainters, Feb 13, 2011.

1. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I have a doe that has been in active labor for a few hours... have gone in and she doesn't feel dialated, though it does feel like there is a kid pushing on the cervix. She has been PUSHING and is getting tired but still no dialation.... have tried manual stimulation...its not working. Can Oxytosin or Lutalyse be used at this point? If so, what would be the best option? I don't want to rupture her uterus...but she needs something to dialate...any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Take Care,

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: Need help ASAP...doe having kidding problems!!!

Hmm...I have never had them not diolate ....when manually doing so...so.... that is a tough one...with the drugs you are right she can rupture internally if used wrong.......can you get a hold of a vet?...she may need Caesarean section done... I am sorry ...you are dealing with this.... prayers for your Doe and Babies... :hug: :pray: :hug:

3. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

careful with the drugs -- oxy can rupture her uterus -- how's she doing?

4. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana

Oxytocin should help soften her cervix and should strengthen her contractions BUT if you have never used it Be Very Careful. there is a right time and a wrong time to use it. If the cervix is soft just not DILATED the drug should help soften it by increasing the frequency and strength of the contractions. But if the kid is mispositioned or the doe is really just in early labor Oxy could be bad. Dex would be more to induce labor but it sounds like maybe she is starting labor already herself...I would be very careful...epinephrine should be loaded in a syringe just in case she shocks. Did you say she was a first timer? Has she has problems in previous kiddings? I like the wait and see idea...but if she is still struggling tomorrow I would have the vet out to look at her...jmo...I have given .5cc, of oxy, to a boer does, probably 175# range, before with good results. I think the recommended doseage is higher but I always figure I can give more if needed.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Her Doe is pushing and in active labor now....so she can't wait til tomorrow.... that risks ..losing both the Doe and her babies... :(

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

How is your Doe Jess? :hug:

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Has her water broke yet Jess?

I've never dealt with one that hasn't dilated....it's normally the kid putting pressure on the cervix as well as hormones that cause the dilation.
    Can you get a finger tip in and do the gentle circular massage to try and stretch her?

Prayers and thoughts are with you :hug:

8. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana

You understand JMO means Just My Opinion right??? Besides what vet is going to come to your farm at 8pm on a sunday night? and unless you happen to have Oxy in your medicine chest, you won't be getting any until tomorrow anyway...From your vet

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

I've manually dilated a does cervix before, just gently 'open' it with the tips of your fingers, it can take a while but it's worked for my does.
    I wouldnt give any drugs yet, just wait with her, see if any other breeders can come assist you if you can't get a vet on the phone for advice.

10. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

Well, things have gone from bad to worse.... we have been manually stimulating her all day, gave her CMPK in case its calcium deficiency, still zero dilation of the cervix...feels as if her uterus is actually tilted..so the baby has to make it over a hump to get out anyways. After pushing off and on all day (not hard and not consistent) she started to push hard this evening...we thought her cervix was dilating...got happy briefly until we realized that she was pushing out her uterus...then the rectal prolapse began as well. :( Called as many vets as possible..can't get a hold of anyone. LUCKILY at this point she seems to have stopped pushing. I have oxtosin here as well as Lute and I have access to Dex... but I'm afraid to give her any as at this point I don't want her to push...because she's pushing out her uterus. :( Hoping and PRAYING that she makes it until morning so I can get a hold of a vet...then I will give the Oxytosin...and if that causes her to expel the uterus due to not dilating at least we will have a vet here to euthanize her asap and hopefully the kids will make it.... as of now they are still moving. :( Its been a rough day.

11. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

OH JESS!!! Im so sorry!

I will pray they are ok until morning when a vet can save everyone :(

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Jess...she cannot expel her uterus with kids in it...they are holding it inside her, she can however have a rectal prolapse from pushing with the weight of the kids putting pressure on the tissues of the canal.

The "mess" you are seeing is from the soft tissues being swollen. I am praying that she stays stable til morning.

13. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

hang on === I am going to call some one I know

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

:pray:

Oh I am so sorry.... :( Prayers sent your way...hope they all will be OK.... :hug: :pray:

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

rub lute on the cervix to help it dilate! Praying!

Also if her uterus comes out or there is lots of swelling pour LOTS of sugar on all her parts, it will help reduce swelling and make it easier to push her uterus back in if needed.

16. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

what is the doe's due date?

17. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

Jess call me -- 619 922 8827

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

:pray: :grouphug:

19. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

:pray: for a good outcome and :hug: to you Jess!

20. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

:pray: