NEED HELP ASAP!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Mar 24, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I have a doe who yesterday and today seemed a tad dumpy, took her temp today and in the middle of the day about 75 degrees out side she had a temp of 103.9, then I got home, her cheeks are all puffy like she still is not feeling good. Took her temp again, and it cooler outside, she has a temp of 104.2...a little too high for me. I have given her 3 cc Vit B complex 3 cc of Thiamin, several doses of....shoot what is it called, the good bacteria...PROBIOS thats it. Anywyas, oh and yesterday I notice she was having to put a bit of effort into breathing, like her nose was congested, but no snot or anything. So I am thinking she is having a bit of an upper resperatory infection. should I give her LA 200 or penn g??? Please help! She is breathing better today, but seems real dumpy!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am going to try you on Yahoo IM - but yes I do recomend you get some antibiotics started. The LA 200 would be my choice. 1cc per 20lbs for the first day, you can cut that dose in half for the following day/s

3. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok temp is down to 103.7, I will give her another shot tomarrow and keep up with the vit b and probios....whew that was scary

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I may be wrong but I though LA200 was to be given every 48 to 72 hours?
    Dosages a found for it:
    4.5cc's per 100 pounds
    2.25cc's per 50 pounds
    1.1cc per 25 pounds
    .5cc's per 12.5 pounds
    .225cc's per 6.25pounds.

How old is this doe? Is she pregnant? Did you listen to her lungs?

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yes I agree with Stacey, she might be getting pneumonia, so she needs to be started on the antibiotics, but I am no help what so ever on the does, because I have never had to do it, but I do agree wit h Run Around, I thought LA 200, was a every other type shot, that is why people like it, but I am not at all sure. Good Luck

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I really prefer Naxcel over LA200 if youhave it. I haven't had much luck with LA200 myself.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yes you can do it every other day with LA 200 BUT from my experience it is best to keep the medicine in their system and not have a laps of time where the bacteria can try to get "foot hold" once again. - just my personal oppion - I told Rachel to do as her gut told her though and not just as I say.

8. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I have heard the LA200 stings, and use Biomiacin instead (even if I can't spell it). Here is a piece from fiasco farm: ( http://fiascofarm.com/goats/medications.htm#oxytetracycline )
    Goat dose: SQ Injection
    4.5ml per 100 lbs. every 36-48 hours. Administer 3 shots (one every 36-48 hours.)
    OR
    3ml per 100 lbs. once daily (this is the dosage I use)

I had a boy that was like this the day after disbudding (on Thursday) I gave him LA200 on Sat, and Sun and he is much better. In the fall we had a young doe do this just from comming onto her first season.
    Hope yours is bouncing around in no time.

9. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Hi all, she is doing much better this morning, havent gone out to take her temp yet but visually she looks waaaaaaay better. I am thinking she might be constipated now. What should I give her for that? That could be part of her problem as well. She will lift her tail real high like she is going to poop but nothing happens. I have seen her pee just fine. But overall she looks 100% better. I will update when I go and get a temp!

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i have used LA a lot of times with great success. I have always done the shots every other day. For the constipation, you can try some warm water ina surynge and putting that in her bottem, as well as giving her a tablespoon of mineral oil orally.
    beth