Need Help ASAP

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Ruby Farms, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Ruby Farms

Ruby Farms New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Tioga, PA
    Hi everyone,

Well one of the twin babies (buck) may have UC. I had this once before and the buck died. Yesterday was the first day I knew that there was something wrong with Roger. He was grunting like he was trying to take a poop. From my understanding of UC once they get it there is nothing you can do. Right now I'm giving him 5 cc of Pepto, 18 cc of acid water (like apple cider) and 1 cc of penicillian. Is there anything else I can do to maybe save him. This baby belongs to my friend's son. I hate for him to lose this baby.

If anyone can give me some advice I would much appreciate it.

Also, is it ok to give the goats a christmas tree? I have checked it out and there is no tinsel or anything that can choke them or bind them up.

Thanks so much.

2. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    There is a topic in caprine special care (buck down I think) that covers treatment of UC very thoroughly so you should check it out. I personally don't have experience with that so looking at that topic is my best advice. I hope Roger recovers quickly.
    On the Christmas tree; it should be fine. Though some people say it can make pregnant does abort.

3. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    UC is a blockage of the urinary tract....it is treatable if caught early...If you are unsure of the diagnosis or the treatment you should call your vet asap...

4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Ammonium chloride can help clear urinary calculi, but I don't know how long it takes. It tasted terrible too. Here is a link to some info. http://fiascofarm.com/goats/stones.htm

I hope he makes it. I had one once working on stones, but got them cleared before he was blocked. I keep ammonium chloride in their water now in tiny amounts.

Jan

5. Ruby Farms

Ruby Farms New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Tioga, PA
    Thanks everyone, will check out the other thread and will be printing the fiasco farm info. I appreciate all the advice.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Becky,

We really need more information. How old is this guy? If he is young, I would lean more to being Constipated.

7. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I agree with Lori.... If he's young I wouldn't think UC. Whats his temp? Appetite?

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Lori...sounds to me like he is really young...so we need his age to determine what is going on with him....

Have you seen him pee....

how is he eating/drinking?

Does he act sick at all..?

9. Ruby Farms

Ruby Farms New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Tioga, PA
    Hi everyone,

the baby is 3 months old and I'm pretty sure its UC. My first goat was 4 months and had it. The symptons are all the same. he hasn't peed since Wednesday. I'm trying the treatment that was in the other thread Buck Down. It seemed to help but he still hasn't peed and his belly is getting more bloated. He is still eating a bit and drinking water and from his mom. He has a sweater on right now to help with the cold. and from what I can tell its not wet from pee and since its white it has not turned yellow. I'm not confident that he's going to survive.

Just seems that my farm is cursed or something. Since we moved here in November of 2009 I've lost a dog, a goat, 2 cats and my 18 yr old son. I was just hoping that I could get my first batch of kids through until summer.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I really appreciate all the advice and help.

Becky

10. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    If he is bloated, maybe try some baking soda? Maybe it's not okay for him right now. Can someone else chime in? What has he been eating?

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've never dealt with this, I'm so sorry you have lost so many.

Have you considered snipping the pizzle? The stringy looking thing on the end of the penis? If the stones are small enough or dissolved enough with treatment, they may be able to be passed once the pizzle is snipped.

12. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I was just looking for some old post on snipping the pizzle like Liz suggested.....have you tried giving him AC mixed with water as a drench?

13. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I'm so sorry you are having so many troubles. I can't even imagine losing my son. I hope your kids are going to make it for you. I guess it isn't much, but it would be a little bit of light. I am really pulling for things to get better for you.

Jan

14. Ruby Farms

Ruby Farms New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Tioga, PA
    I've snipped his pizzle that was one of the first things I did .. i mixed up AC and gave it to him as a drench .. put him on ACE and steriods and antibotics as suggested .. it seems that nothing has helped .. when I went to the barn this morning he was still kicking .. he was shivering a bit yesterday so i put a sweater on him and put a heat lamp in with him .. its been in the single digits the last few days .. I'm going to give him another day with all the treatment .. if he hasn't peed then I will probably call the vet to have him put to sleep .. i saw what UC did to my other buck and I don't want him to go through that agony ..

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Praying for your guy... to Pee and be OK....... :hug: :pray:

16. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Is veterinary care possible? I know of one case of UC where the vet drained the bladder to alleviate the pressure and continued treatment with success.

17. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm so sorry :( I've never dealt with this, and couldn't imagine how hard it must be. I hope and pray that he gets better, but if it doesn't, just know you have done everything possible to help him.

I'm also sorry for all the losses you've had, especially your son :( Life can sure be heartbreaking :(

18. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    :hug: :hug: :hug: and :pray: :pray: :pray:

19. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Praying for your little buck...

You've done so much, almost everything I could think to suggest, so I'm sure he's in good hands. Can you give us any more details on his symptoms at all? How long has he been acting "off"... His condition the past few weeks (getting thin/bloated/scours/etc)... His temp... His "medical" history (any wormings, cocci treaments, supplements, vaccinations, etc)... I'm just trying to think of anything I possibly can to help figure this out with you.

I agree that its odd he would have UC at such an incredibly young age, especially when still nursing??? I don't think I've ever heard of that before? Can you give us some input on what the feed situation is...minerals, supplements, type of hay and/or grains, anything at all... I'm wondering if it's not a situation where one aspect of the feed program is counter-acting another aspect & causing this UC that your seeing early on. It's just an idea... maybe there is something we can help you with to prevent this from recurring. ... to hopefully make the kidding season go better for you.

Keep us updated and we'll keep doing our best to help... :grouphug:

20. Ruby Farms

Ruby Farms New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Tioga, PA
    Morning everyone,

Roger passed away this morning. I had the vet scheduled to come this morning to put him to sleep and he was already gone. Just looks like he went to sleep. Mom was still laying next to him when I got to the barn. She was trying to keep him warm.

I really want to thank you all for all the help you have given to me. Even though you really don't know me you have been wonderful. I'm watching my other 3 more closely and adding the AC to their water.

I think what happened was that the mom was starting to wean him off and he wasn't getting enough water into his system to flush out his bladder.

I found that the food I was feeding didn't have the AC added in. So this week I will be changing back to Dumor from the feed store mix. The bill's going to be a bit more but it will save alot of money with vet bills and meds and heartache.

Again thanks to everyone for everything. I really appreciate it.