The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 3 month old kinder. Been healthy. Eating fine. Gaining fine. This morning when I fed she was perfectly normal. Came home and went out to feed and she didn’t greet me at the gate. Found her in the corner of the pen. Eyes looked red. No runny nose or cough. Temp 105. She is acting blind. Running into things. Giving asa until vet comes. Thoughts? Recommendations?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Her actual eyes look red or her eyelids (FAMACHA score is red?)

Is she circling, stargazing, standing funny, drooling?

Are her eyes goopy at all?

If it wasn't so sudden I could think it was pinkeye with a bad case causing a fever. But that is sudden and I'm sure you would have noticed the eye goop and red eyes prior.

Maybe Polio or Listeriosis?

@ksalvagno @toth boer goats @mariarose

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Her actual eyes look red or her eyelids (FAMACHA score is red?)
Her famacha was normal yesterday. It's the sclera of her eye that is red.
Is she circling, stargazing, standing funny, drooling?
Maybe stargazing. Not circling, not drooling.
Are her eyes goopy at all?
No eye goop.
No cough.
No wheezing.
Standing with her head in the corner
If it wasn't so sudden I could think it was pinkeye with a bad case causing a fever. But that is sudden and I'm sure you would have noticed the eye goop and red eyes prior.

Maybe Polio or Listeriosis?

@ksalvagno @toth boer goats @mariarose

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I can't remember what it's called but I know if there is mold in the hay it can cause fever and if it gets in their eyes it can cause blindness and swelling.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Red eyes are confusing??

For polio/listeriosis you need
500mg thiamine every 6 hours
Penicillin every 6 hours ( sub Q, always check for blood before you inject)
Dexamethose ( 1 cc per 20# IM once a day) or Banamine (1 cc per 100# sub Q once a day)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What did the vet say about your doe?
He said polio. Gave me thiamine to give every 12. Nuflor every other day for 3 doses. And banamine once a day for 3 days.
She is starting to move a little more. Off feed still. I'm drenching with electrolytes.

Vet feels prognosis is good. Says I will see a turn around in 2-3 days. Is this correct?

Anything else I should be doing?

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
when we suspect polio we also treat for listeriosis since symptoms can be very similar.

Nuflor should be daily in goats..3 cc per 100# sub q but wont address Listeriosis well enough. Penicillin is a better choice here. I would be giving...
500 mg Thiamine every 6 hours
Penicillin every 6 hours in case of listeriosis. 1 cc per 10# Sub Q.
And prefer Dex for this but Banamine ( 1 cc per 100#) once a day for 3 days then assess if more is needed.

you did catch pretty quickly..so if polio you should hopefully see quick recovery.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
when we suspect polio we also treat for listeriosis since symptoms can be very similar.

Nuflor should be daily in goats..3 cc per 100# sub q but wont address Listeriosis well enough. Penicillin is a better choice here. I would be giving...
500 mg Thiamine every 6 hours
Penicillin every 6 hours in case of listeriosis. 1 cc per 10# Sub Q.
And prefer Dex for this but Banamine ( 1 cc per 100#) once a day for 3 days then assess if more is needed.

you did catch pretty quickly..so if polio you should hopefully see quick recovery.
Would you do Nuflor AND penicillin? Can I alternate thiamine and high complex B every 6 or should I go buy thiamine?

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Recently I had a doe on Nuflor for pneumonia..she then showed signs of listeriosis..I had read Nuflor was used with some success but it was not until I started Penicillin that she got better. I did her nuflor first thing in the AM to finish her week out then did Pen the rest of the day.
You can alternate the Thiamine and B complex..but she will need a larger dose to equal 500 mg. Most B complex has 100 mg so would need 5 cc.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Penicillin will pass the BBB. Frequent and higher doses are needed 1 cc per 10# is what works.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How many days do I have to do the thiamine every 6 hrs? She is slowly getting better. Back on feed. Interacting with other goats. She is still off a little, but 75% better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts