Need help! Birth problem

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Laurel_Haven, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Anyone that knows anything about birthing please call me at 803-482-2042
    I can not reach my vet and need help with Hopi.

leave it ring I will be in the barn and it will take me a moment to get back up to the house.

please anyone!

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I have to leave the house but I cvan do my best to help you on here or I can text you if you have a cell.

3. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Hopi delivered a baby about three hours ago, she still has more in there but i can't get them out. Could they still be alive? How long can they survive between births. I tried calling vet but can not reach him only get machine. I can take her to one that is 2 1/2 hours away but if there is a chance they are stilll alive I would like to get them out now before transporting her. I need to know could they still be alive after 3 hours?

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Unlikely but possible G2g I'll check back later. Sorry

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I'm not sure. I would definitely get her to the vet soon. :hug:

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Tina, how are things going?

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    ....I had one that lived close to 12 hours (stuck ) ...I thought the mother was done .she didn't show any contractions...I decided to put a bolus in her... when I felt a foot....I freaked and tried to pull the kid... but couldn't find the head.....called a friend to come help and he worked on it for a very long time.....the head was backwards in there like a suction cup...I was not strong enough to pull it.........The friend finally got him out ...he died about 5 minutes later...

8. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Just a quick update before heading back down to the barn... We have one live doe, A friend (Thanks Keith) told me not to transport the doe to the vet as it was to far and our vet that makes farm calls could not be reached so to just go in and get everything out tht the kids may still be alive even after 4 hours. So I did and it was a dead buckling that was blocking everything up. I removed him after much work to do so, and he looked to have been dead for days. I did not feel anything else but I am not positve that there is not more because still no afterbirth and she has amber mucus. I just don't know yet. I will let you know when we are done.

Thank you Allsion & Pam for your phone call! :hug:

I gotta go take care of Hopi and Sister is now in labor too.

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I just saw your new post and this was what I was GOING to say

Charlotte's kids were stuck for about five or six hours before delivery by caesarian, both alive and well. As long as the cord doesnt break, you have more time than you think.

This is probably a bit late but I suppose you have three options:

#1. can you describe the position of the kids and maybe we can suggest how to get them out?

#2. chuck her in the car and drive as fast as you can to the vet for a caesar, if you feel you cant get them out

#3. attempt a caesar yourself if you think time is of the essence. I have done this before where the kids are more valuable than the does, like in ET programs. You have to decide whether you want the doe or the kids more. Its a hard decision, I know.

Now I just want to add if she hasnt passed afterbirth, and you think there may be another kid, it does not hurt to check. In fact, she is probably so tired by now it is better if you check. Go in, and see if you can find any more kids, remove them if you do find them. It is always better to check if you are not sure, and I have done it many times with natural births. Sometimes there is a kid, sometimes just afterbirth taking its time. She may have trouble getting rid of it because of the hard birth.

GOOD LUCK

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm sorry to hear that, but at least momma is doing alright so far. Just keep an eye on her and watch for that afterbirth. I'm sure she'll be fine. Goodness you're busy....I hope the next one is an easy, safe, and quick birth. Keep us posted. :hug:

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh Tina - I am so sorry.

I will be on my cell the rest of the night - call me if you would like. Take care hun - it has been a heck of a day for you.

12. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Still nothing and she seems to still be laboring. I guess I am going to have to go back in and check... this poor doe. She has been going through this almost 5 hours. i am about ready to just drive her to the vets. I am going to go in again and then decide what to do... i am afraid to leave though because Sister is a FF and about to kid as well. And worst yet, it is pouring down rain, very heavily and has been for hours... :hair:

The doeling is doing wonderfully though, it is hard to keep her under control to take care of Hopi. She keeps crying out for mom.

Thanks so much everyone. :grouphug:

Gotta go back down, just came up to get something to drink and check the forum for any advice. You guys are all great BTW!

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you are very welcome... :hug: .....As you mentioned you had reached all the way up to your elbow...
    there is probably not anymore kids in there ...if you only felt mush ...I would think she should be OK...I hope she passes her after birth for ya soon.....

Just a note ...something to have on hand....
    Oxytocin
    Use when a doe kids and does not pass her afterbirth. Must be used before the cervix closes (within approximately five hours after kidding). Causes contractions that expel the afterbirth. This is not a comfortable experience for the doe, so use it sparingly. Dosage is 1.5 cc per 100 lbs. Vet has recommend we use .5 cc to doe. ....prescribed by a vet....

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Keep me posted Tina - you know that there is a 3 hour difference in time between us - so let me know!

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Feel free to call anytime, I don't sleep much lol

And after Dawn and her whole issue with the tangled quints I'd be glad to tell you what I know and what I did with her. :)

16. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    I hope everything is ok now. If I was you I would go back in a feel for a 3rd kid, if I didn't find one just leave her be for now. Be sure to start her on an antibiotic since you have had to go inside.

This past spring my pygmy doe delivered one healthy kid and strained for I know 2-3 hours before I found her(the kid was dry, up and running around by the time I found her), I went in and tried to move the other kid but could not reposition it, so two and half hours after I found her, I get her to a vet and he gets this huge buckling unstuck and out, of course he was dead, but then he went back in and here was this perfectly fine little doeling.

17. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I just got your pm and tried calling. I was watching a movie so I haven't been online for a while. If she's still laboring there has to be something else in there so I would go in and see. Did you bounce her? Did you feel anything else at all?

I hope you are able to find out and get the other kid out IF there is another kid. Good luck. I hope Sister kids a text book easy kidding for you so that you can rest easy. Good luck.

:hug:

18. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh dear, I hope things are better now... :pray: :hug:

19. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I am so sorry to hear about this! I sure hope everything else went ok and that Sister has a txt book kidding!

20. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I have seen them labouring like crazy just to get the placenta out. Put your hand in there and check, if you just feel mush then she is just trying to get rid of the placenta.