Need help deciding please!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Crissa, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay I have to decide by Friday, but I wanted to see what you guys thought first. Dill's has three nubian bucklings for sale out of Easy-Stream Mahogany for sale for $150 each. Do you think I should jump on it? They're only keeping them until Friday. So I have to let her know ASAP. (and if Chase doesn't sell soon he'll be going to the sale anyways) Here's the does page.

Her name is Easy-Stream Mahogany.
    http://dillsalittlegoatfarm.com/nubianseniordoes.htm

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    who's the sire?

personally i think that's a steal of a deal

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    She looks nice, but I don't know much about Nubian's. lol :shrug:

4. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Oops, can't believer I forgot to add that. :oops: The sire is Dorsey-Lane EA The Big Easy, personally I'm not a big fan of him but I do like this doe. :scratch:

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    I say yes.
    that's not the most flattering picture of the buck, but his dam is to die for and he's not bad at all

and for 150..

6. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    If you don't like the sire...I wouldn't get one. I like the doe for the most part, too, but I think her udder could have tighter attachments. But for $150...it's not a bad price...

7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Well I went ahead and put a poll. My other options are waiting and buying one from a doe I do like from them, or finding another good quality buckling to buy. :shrug: (hint Jacque!!! lol)

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would like to see a tigher rear attachment but over all not bad doe. Does he improve upon what you already have? Does he improve over Chase? That would be the deciding factor. If his dam is no better then Chase's dam I wouldnt get him.

9. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    I too think that's a steal of a deal. But I think it really depends on your herd and what you would like to improve on, if you feel your does are strong in the areas that are her faults, then they are worth it! The sire's dam is going to be a key animal to look at too. I wouldnt mind having her in my herd :wink:

10. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
  11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I voted no because I don't care too much for the attachments on the doe's udder. . . that was before I read she is an improvement over Chase's dam. . . so, I think that's a good deal for a buck. :)

12. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    Definantly an improvement over Chase's dam. I say go for it, Crissa! :)

13. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Why are they so cheap?

I would never sell an animal I felt was good enough quality to register for under 200 and I am skeptical of others that will.

Also, with how many does you have it seems a bit overkill to have so many bucks. I understand Orion is related to Lyrae but it would be a must more economically feasible route to pay a breeding fee somewhere than buy and pay to feed another buck.

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    they're probably so cheap because she has so many, she freshens a lot of does, so she could be feeling the strain.. didn't she have a baby last year too? and she bottle feeds everything.

i would say mahogany has a better udder than chase's mum. and easy, though that picture isn't good at all, has really nice lines. and won't you go to the farm for pickup?? so then you could see him in person

15. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    She's selling them so cheap because she wants them to go to breeding homes. She sends all bucklings to the sale on the first available Saturday, because she doesn't want to bottle feed a lot of buck/wether kids. She said that she really wants these guys to go as intact bucks.

I've also been considering selling Lyrae, but I'm not really sure if I really want to or not. :(

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would keep Lyrea she is a nice doe! her buckling probably could be sold for a nice price due to her nice udder. But since you plan on getting more does then maybe keeping him will work out. Depends if the doeling from Lyric or Heidi is his or not, cant remember who you bred each doe to.

17. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Lyric and Heidi are both bred to Orion. I plan on keeping a doeling out of Lyric for sure, but I'm selling Heidi and hopefully buying another doeling from Dill's or someone else. I just really don't want to sell Orion. But I guess I could write up something, if I did sell him that is, that says if they have to sell him for any reason that I get to have first dibs or something. :shrug:

18. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    man if she was selling a nigie buck for 150 and i was closer i'd be there

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Just remember Crissa that through the years you will always have those goats you really love and hate to part with but you have to in order to further your herd. Why have a buck aroundn that may accidentaly breed 2 of your does you dont want bred by him (mom and daughter)? that is just a hassel.

20. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I agree with Stacey...there are going to be goats you have to part with that you don't want to. I cried when I sold Libby last year, but she just wasn't going to cut it in the show ring and she had to go. I know she went to a good home, but I still miss her.