The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, One of my baby goats ends up getting pregnant which was very bad because she is way too young. Yesterday night she tried pushing the baby but could not because the baby got stuck and died inside of her. We had to emergency pull the baby out. Now the goat is barley moving and is in so much pain. Also the area where she had the baby is affected now. Not sure if she will make it tonight what should I do to keep her alive till tomorrow morning?

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
What's her temp? Have you given her b complex? I would.
Do you have banamine? That will help with the pain and swelling, preparation H will help her lady parts feel better.
When you say "the area where she had the kid was affected" do you mean infected? If so start antibiotics
Banamine is 1cc per 100 lbs

You need to get her to a vet asap.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Poor thing. No, banamine paste isn't as good as the injectable. However it's better than nothing.
Oral vitamin b does not work well but again better than nothing.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would probably go ahead and give penicillin if she has an infection. But it's hard to tell what's going on. Did she pass the placenta? Do you have any lute to give her to get anything else to pass?

She really needs a vet if you're not comfortable doing an internal exam. Any goat friends nearby who could help? Is she eating and drinking?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would probably go ahead and give penicillin if she has an infection. But it's hard to tell what's going on. Did she pass the placenta? Do you have any lute to give her to get anything else to pass?

She really needs a vet if you're not comfortable doing an internal exam. Any goat friends nearby who could help? Is she eating and drinking?
She's weak and she's having problems eating, also waking but she drinks a lot of water like, so much water.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's her temp? Have you given her b complex? I would.
Do you have banamine? That will help with the pain and swelling, preparation H will help her lady parts feel better.
When you say "the area where she had the kid was affected" do you mean infected? If so start antibiotics
Banamine is 1cc per 100 lbs

You need to get her to a vet asap.
What is preparation H for animals and where would I find it? I can't seem to find preparation H for goats.

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
What is preparation H for animals and where would I find it? I can't seem to find preparation H for goats.
In the drug store for humans. And keep calling any vet in the remote area. Gatorade might be better than water if she will drink it. Or put some molasses in her water. But keep a plain bucket for her to drink if she wants also. Keep hay and feed close to her if she is wobbly. Did she pass the placenta? How old is this goat and what breed? Why do you think the area is infected? Does it smell bad? Did you search for more kids in there?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the drug store for humans. And keep calling any vet in the remote area. Gatorade might be better than water if she will drink it. Or put some molasses in her water. But keep a plain bucket for her to drink if she wants also. Keep hay and feed close to her if she is wobbly. Did she pass the placenta? How old is this goat and what breed? Why do you think the area is infected? Does it smell bad? Did you search for more kids in there?
Yes she did did she pass the placenta. She's about 7-8 month and yes it did smell and look swollen.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Poor thing,I'm glad she's eating some. Yes, the preparation H is the human kind but it helps alot with swollen sore lady bits.
I hope the vet can get her feeling better. Keep up the antibiotics for at least a week to ten days depending on what you're using. (what are you using?) Vitamin c human chewables or gummies would also help her.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What did the vet say today? How is she doin?
Sadly she passed away. They explained that how the infection was not only around her private area but also inside. They gave her a shot for the infection but she still end up passing away the next day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.