Need Help fast.......

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Rogersfarm, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    We have a FF doe due mid April. Today we get home and she is laying down with her eyes half open and acting like she is trying to push. We get her up and she has a small amount of goop in her "Area" .She has a very small udder like less than handful and she keeps acting like she wants to push. We thought constapated? We treated her for that and took her temp it was 102.8.Then she is laying back down grunting and pushing again. She is very posty walking and keeps her back hunched up like she could poop. We have no clue what to do.No blood and no more goop.Any suggestions?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Are you sure about the Due date?

If she is pushing... she is most likely in labor.... early or not.... wash up and see if she is open and if there is a kid at the door.... reach in with 2 fingers....

Is she prolapsing at all? That can also make them push...prematurely... :(

Is there a bubble..trying to come out?

3. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    No bubble and Sorry but what would prolapsing look like?

4. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Yes ,the due date is correct its actually April 4th. I just looked it up .We had a "Date" with our buck unless she back it up to the fence thats the date we have.

5. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Prolapsing would be a ball of red tissue - it's when then try to push and end up pushing either their colon or uterus out of their body.

Praying that you are able help her!

6. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    No prolapse at all actually right now she has nothing. Its not even really that open.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    correct... :thumb:

...breeding between the fence can happen.... she may be due now.... if she is her udder may fill after kidding.... oxytocin will help for milk let down....

She isn't open ....is she really pushing hard...? Or just a little push here and there?

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Same. She is pushing a little here and there and grunting.It sounds like she is gritting her teeth alot too.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Pushing a little...OK...maybe she isn't quite there yet....she may be contracting....and in the process of moving those kids to the birth canal...they can do this for many hours.....I'd watch her closely.... If she isn't open and not really getting into major pushing(Labor)...she may be OK for now....

If you feel a vet should be called don't hesitate..... I can't see what she is doing...... use your best judgment :hug:

11. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Husband just checked she is in the process of a miscarraige the baby is coming out and clearly not developed

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh no.....I am so sorry.... sounds like... she is to early.... :hug: :(

13. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
  14. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Do you have any suggestions to give to the Doe after she passes the baby?

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm so sorry Melinda, give her plenty warm molasses water...treat her as you would any doe that has given birth. Check her udder and be sure to milk her out if she becomes tight and full, she may not but it still is possible.

Be sure she passes the entire pregnancy, she should have no issues but just in case, udder massage will help with contractions.

16. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Ok ,she passed a baby buck, no hair and jelly like bones but pretty good size for its term. She seems ok and we have been giving her warm water with molasses.Still no udder though.

17. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I'm sorry! that has to be hard! for you and for her . . .

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She'll likely not have an udder at this stage, she will still have an afterbirth, be sure that passes too and give her tons of TLC, hugs to you too.

19. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Thanks you guys are awesome!I am sad because she is my favorite Doe and she is FF so I was super excited for the outcome but I feel confident she will be ok.I look at it like this,be goat owners is trial and error and you have to have experience to know things and now we can put this down as lesson learned and look for signs and know what to do next time it happens.I am proud of my husband he always does the dirty work and I am grateful to him for that:)

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Again... I am so sorry.... :( you do have a great husband there...give him a big :hug:

Do as Liz instructed..... I will pray... that she delivers everything OK...and the afterbirth comes out too... :hug: :pray: