The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I decided to do my controversial research paper over saving endangered livestock breeds! My stance is we should, and I have found several sources that say the same thing. My only issue is I need to find a couple of sources that are against saving heritage livestock breeds. If anyone can find some sources that would be great! I want to thank everyone in this online community!

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Hello everyone! I decided to do my controversial research paper over saving endangered livestock breeds! My stance is we should, and I have found several sources that say the same thing. My only issue is I need to find a couple of sources that are against saving heritage livestock breeds. If anyone can find some sources that would be great! I want to thank everyone in this online community!

Thanks in advance!!!
Try getting hold of Ogden Press they publish..backwoods home magazine, Grit and Cappers farmer magazines. They are a small publisher with nice people who might be able to point you in the right direction

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have found that heritage breeds are scarce because they are not economical viable. my pilgrim geese don't reproduce well. 5 years and my three geese are now just 6 i have not had my Christmas goose yet. my Dexter cattle have wonderful flavor meat but after two years they only give 400 lbs of it. it is hard to pay the feed bill with that little meat

·
8,163 Posts
Aren't most heritage breeds considered the foundation of the breed? Then it is built on and improved?
Now, I'm not gonna get all controversial about GMO corn, but, the original maize (corn cousin) was small kernals on little cobs. Now, it's a much larger yield. An acre 100 years ago fed a family, now, it feeds many more.

It's good to keep some foundation stock of whatever, but, modern breeds certainly are more economically feasible. (Or should be!)

·
I'm watching you
22,267 Posts
Are they really though? The "better" corn sucks the life out of the land and the "better" breeds need way more inputs to preform to standard.

·
I'm watching you
22,267 Posts
Given the same poorer foods that heritage breeds thrive on wouldn't the modern breeds also be slow to mature and produce much less or even not at all?

Hey, we need more people for a good debate.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Aren't most heritage breeds considered the foundation of the breed? Then it is built on and improved?
No most heritage breeds are breeds unto them selves. these breeds filled a niche that no longer exists. the reason there is an effort to save these breeds is to keep genetic diversity. there is a fear that we may be breeding a genetic time bomb that could devastate our food supply.

·
8,163 Posts
Is there enough genetic diversity left, among the heritage breeds, to even have healthy viable groups? Hopefully, there is enough diversity, or another potatoe famine could occur, but on a global level.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Here to learn. Has anyone actually tried a side-by-side trial of modern breeds vs heritage breeds under modern growing conditions and then compared them under traditional growing conditions? Have any of you seen a write-up of something like this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts