Need help from ABGA breeders/exhibitors

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by hscottom87, Sep 4, 2013.

1. hscottom87

hscottom87 New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    I am wanting opinions from experienced breeders/exhibitors familiar w/ the expectations of goats competing on the ABGA level. Please subscribe to this thread. I will be back from the barn in a bit w/ my pictures & questions.

2. hscottom87

hscottom87 New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    I need honest, unbiased feedback.

Doe #1-
    We were told this doe would not make a good breeding doe, & that if we want good quality show offspring she needs to go.

(Bare w/ me on uploading pics. The app keeps crashing)

Attached Files:

3. hscottom87

hscottom87 New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Doe #2-

We were told this doe is not ABGA quality but her offspring potentially could be.

ForumRunner_20130904_112330.jpg

ForumRunner_20130904_112400.jpg

ForumRunner_20130904_112442.jpg

ForumRunner_20130904_112516.jpg

ForumRunner_20130904_112540.jpg

4. hscottom87

hscottom87 New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Doe #1 is 8 months old. Doe #2 is 4 months old.

5. hscottom87

hscottom87 New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    I am wanting not only to know if you agree/disagree w/ the feedback given to us, but an explanation as to why you feel that way. That's where we are getting stumped. We get "do this, do that" but no reason as to why?

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Both does have a bit of steep rump. Unless she has no teats or some glaring genetic fault she can be bred. One of my girls is steeper but has no problems kidding.
    In the early days I'd bring anybody to a show cause I didn't know better so it's good you are asking for feedback.

Im no good at critiquing.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Can you post pics of teat structure?

8. Crossroads Boers

Crossroads Boers Colorful Quality Boers

Feb 19, 2011
    Mossyrock,WA
    I like the % doe a lot... no she may not win grand champion, but she's still a nice doe IMO. I commented on what I like about her in a different thread. I'd show her if she were mine. ;)

With your first doe, she's pretty narrow and could use some width, has a high rump, she doesn't blend real well into her shoulders and appears down on her pasterns a little. She also looks small for her age? Her right rear leg looks really funky in that one picture.. was she inured or is it just the way she is standing?

She's got length going for her and she has a real pretty head. :) Honestly though I do not think doe #1 would compete at ABGA shows... I would agree you should probably look for a nicer doe if you really want to compete.

9. Crossroads Boers

Feb 19, 2011
    Mossyrock,WA
    Also like Nancy mentioned... are their teats and bite good?

10. hscottom87

hscottom87 New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    With you knowing our goal, Would doe #1 be good for breeding purposes to produce show babies? Or just cull her out? She is definitely small for her age. Might of been the bout of coccidia she had.

Teats & bite good on both. Both 2 x 2.

Really appreciating the help guys!

11. hscottom87

hscottom87 New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Doe 1 is standing weird. No injury. Fluke picture taken haha!

12. Crossroads Boers

Feb 19, 2011
    Mossyrock,WA
    If she was bred to a wide, level, smooth buck then yes, I do think she could have nice kids. :)

13. hscottom87

hscottom87 New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    This doe was bought just to be a companion. Would she be breeding quality or just pet quality for us? Ignore the topline. It's weird in this pic. She's actually pretty level w/ no dip behind shoulder.

ForumRunner_20130904_141443.jpg

14. Tenacross

Tenacross Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Enumclaw, Wa.
    Doe #1 has a steep rump and has a bit of a stunted look to her, but I wouldn't go so far as to say cull her and start over. Especially if money is tight. If you have the money to be aggressive in your quest to win blue, then yeah, she would slow you down a little. One thing I notice is that it appears you did some fitting on doe #1 with the clippers and it looks like you clipped her entire top line. If you had left the hair on her rump long, it would have made her less steep looking. Just a little tip I learned by doing the same as you did. ;) If you decide to keep doe #1, I would wait until next year to breed her and let her catch up. When I first started I bought a doe that was sort of stunted looking and she is now my best producer.
    Doe #2 is a pretty decent doe it appears. Knowing me, I would have to show her at least once. Would she place? I sort of doubt it, but the experience you would gain by participating is worth a *lot*. Doe #2 appears to have a relatively flat rump when compared to doe #1. #2 appears to have a fairly good chest, or a license to grow up with a good chest. #2 appears to be normal or even big for her age. Unless #2 has something that won't pass with bite, pigment or teats, I'm not sure why someone would try and talk you out of entering a show.

15. hscottom87

hscottom87 New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Lol oohh that's another story there. My FIRST time clipping ended so badly that we had to cut her topline off just so she would look *halfway ok*. That BAD!! Talk about embarrassing @ the county fair.

16. hscottom87

hscottom87 New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Doe #3 worth anything? Another stunted doe. Paid $25 to throw in as companion for doe 1 when she was all we had. So if she's cull worthy it's no biggie.

17. Crossroads Boers

Feb 19, 2011
    Mossyrock,WA
    I'm really not great at critiquing, so I can't give you a great answer. But I do know that doe #3 really, really could use a better top. She doesn't have enough breed character in her head for my liking ( probably just because she's a cross?), and she could use more meat and muscle... Not sure what else to say about her! I like her bone and she is fairly long.

Unless she has something seriously wrong with her, I wouldn't cull her. I seriously doubt she'll give you something that is show quality, but I don't see why you couldn't keep her and breed her.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013