need help......goat coat?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Feb 18, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok...my little wether has loss a lot of his hair this week.....talked to the vet today and he suggested I get him a coat....it is suppose to be very cold here this weekend.....I do have a heat lamp for him in the barn.....vet wants to give this some time....thinks it could have been caused by the stress of him getting sick the weekend before and running fever....if it gets worse, then vet wants to do skin scrape and blood test.....I have checked him over and over for lice, can't find any.
    Anyway, all vet has is calf blanket......any suggestions for a goat coat.....could I use a large dog coat?
    Thanks, Denise

2. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    yeah you can use dog coats ... I've used them before, and keep them on hand all the time for my goat kids. I have pygmy goats and nigerian and mix. My goat kids are usually pretty small, and for them a small dog coat usually fits when they're newborn to a few weeks old. I don't know how big your buckling is.

So you's don't know what the cause of his shedding is ? Could you get a picture and post on here ? How did the shedding start ? All over or did it start in one spot and then "spread" ?

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    An old sweatshirt. I had to use one on Zorro last year.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok....about 2wks ago he started shedding his undercoat, didn't think anything about it.....then weekend before last his brother came down with diarreah and had a fever, by Sat Elwood (one shedding) was off feed and running fever but never had diarreah, vet came on out Sat and checked them both couldn't really figure anything out except I had started a new bag of feed day before they got sick...vet thought maybe feed, but he looked at and said it looked ok and smelled fine, but like he said who knows... vet looked them over throughly, listen to their chest and looked over the barn and property thinking maybe they got into something.....anyway, he started them on pen injections and they started acting fine.....but Elwood was really stressed out by the whole thing (having vet here, getting shots)....he was gun shy of us most of last week....well, this week the shedding has gotten worse....all the undercoat is gone and his hair is sooooo thin I can see his skin, poor baby looks like an alien..it seems to be an all over thing....this past weekend I brushed him out good and got all the loose undercoat out, then it just seemed to get worse after I did that......he is acting fine in every other way.....I did worm them because vet did a fecal this week after they had been sick, he said they did have enough numbers that he thought they needed worming....so we did that...the boys are both about 8mths old.....Jake the brother is just fine...no serious shedding, he is not near as skiddish or nervous as Elwood.
    Talked to vet this afternoon...thinks maybe this is a stress thing....wants to watch it for a few days and see what happens, if he gets worse then vet will do test....I have checked him over for lice, can't find a thing....I have them on loose minerals, but vet said it wouldn't hurt to give him a multi vitamin or a zinc tablet..his skin is dry and flaky...I'm just worried about it getting so cold this weekend....they do have a dog house like shelter inside the barn inside their pen with a lamp....we have plans to go out of town, neighbor is going to look after them, but I am having second thoughts about leaving....I just don't trust neighbor to be as observant as I am.
    Sorry for so long, Denise

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Runaround.....how do you cut the sweatshirt?

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Be very careful if you use a sweatshirt!! I made two little coats for my babies this winter when we were having loads of snow and Arctic like weather, the material in the shirt will soak up moisture. I almost killed my babies not knowing they were sitting in wet coats, they didn't ever feel wet, but when I took them off they were heavy and had leached in moisture!! eeek! I got a couple of second hand small sized water proof dog coats for the babies for the next cold snap..no more sweatshirts for me!!
    I hope your boy is feeling better!!

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    tonight it warmed up so much so that I took Lola's coat off. I was afraid she would get to warm. Today it was no more then like 34 degrees but now it is like 45 degrees, crazy weather :GAAH:

8. lorna

lorna New Member

May 12, 2008
    I make fleece scarves and dog coats as a side thing and thought about making coats for my goats (love the way that sounds :) but was afraid they would eat them like anything else in their reach. The other night it was so cold I put a (polar) fleece blanket in for them and to my surprise they did not eat it. :clap:

So I am considering making some goat coats, but is also some thing you can do yourself. Fleece does not need the edges finished, no fraying. You can use stick on velcro to attach. Sizing would be the hardest part I think.

I may make a prototype and see how many might be interested in Coats for Goats!

I hope you work out your babies skin issues, if you give them any wheat products try removing them and see what happens.

Best wishes-
    Lorna

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks for the ideas.....I had already thought maybe the sweatshirt was not good....They have a heat lamp (recessed into the roof so no fire danger) inside their wood dog house inside the barn with a blanket over the doorway, so I'll see how he is this morning when I go out......it got down to 19 degrees last night.....if anything, I think I'll run into town and see if I can find big dog coat.

10. lorna

lorna New Member

May 12, 2008
    I was just at my local feed store and saw some nice dog coats made by a company that makes horse blankets, they had lots of sizes and they looked durable.

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I switch my "coats" daily on my kids when I use the sweatshirts. If you do that and keep an eye - you should be ok with them not soaking up moisture!!