Need help goat sick

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mliga, Jan 23, 2011.

1. mliga

mliga New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Kingwood, WV
    Hi everyone,

Ok, Harriet is not acting right. I banded her horns on Dec. 29, 2010. She has not been happy about it was eating normal. Well for the past few days she has been not herself, eating, and drinking ok, just not 100%. Hazel went through the same thing and once her first horn dropped down she was ok. Anyway, I thought Harriet's horn might be causing her a little pain so I applied some asprincream. She freaked out and the horn that was 1/2 through with the band she almost knocked off. She bled some and I treated her with blood stop. But today she is not wanting to eat her hay, she did eat her grain, sunflower seeds and goat minerals this morning. I also do not think she is drinking enough, she peed but it was not very much. Her poop is normal, but not as much as usual and her temp is 103.2. If I give her any kind of food and Power Punch drench she eats it right up, but she just nibbles at her hay.

Any ideas?

Michelle in WV

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She's likely in a bit of pain, as long as she's eating something and drinking she'll be fine.You can make her water more enticing by making it warm and adding just enough molasses to make it smell good, I've even used unsweetened Kool Aid in warm water , mine prefer the orange and fruit punch flavors.

As long as the banded area doesn't have a funky smell or have a pus discharge, she'll be fine til they drop.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Seems like...pain... may still be an issue here.....I personally don't dehorn.... so I really am not much help here... usually a goat will eat their grain over hay ect....when they are in pain or sick...to a certain point......If you can get some banamine ......it helps appetite ..pain and swelling.... just watch for infection as well... :hug:

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you have Banamine? Maybe a shot of Banamine for the pain.

5. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Has she had her Tetanus vaccine? If not (or if it was a long time ago), do you have any tetanusanti-toxin available?

6. mliga

mliga New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Kingwood, WV
    If that pain killer is via the vet, no dice, the only vet in our county deals with pets. Farm animals are on a case by case and in most cases he will not see them. He will not give me a prescription for ephenphine (sp) either. But I did give them their CDT in mid October. (that was the booster 4 weeks after the first shot)

Michelle in WV

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    You can give her human aspirin....not sure the dose....when one of my guys had to be re-dehorned by our vet, they gave him banamine there.....but after I brought him home vet said I could give him 1 baby aspirin every 6 hours, he was probably about 25lbs at that point.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The CD&T shot should still be good then.....

Sorry ..you can't get banamine..... but Denise ...came up with a great idea aspirin will help.... :hug:

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
  10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Great topic Liz..... :thumb:

11. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Sorry to hear she isn’t feeling well. :( I suggest molasses in the water to encourage her to drink and a Vit B shot to help stimulate her appetite. :hug: