need help once again

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, May 22, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok, so you all know scarlet by now, the one who kept running temps and was lethargic but could never figure out why. Well I have come to figure out she is just a dumpy doe...thats just her personality, OR she is still sick and I havent figured it out! Anyways, she is skin and bones, checked her eyelids and her color is good but even her eyes are sunk in...like dehydrated...... SHe has lost alot of weight. Her poop is normal, havent really watched her pee, but again I was watching for it. I am going to worm her and load her up on vit B probios. I also have a paste that isvit A D E B12 gel. I think I will give her that as well. I put her in a pen by herself and gave her alfalfa pellets and grain, she grabbed a mouth full like she was starving to death but then walked away from it. She acts like she is hungry but dosent eat more than a bite.... Maybe I need to check her mouth.... what do you all think?

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I don't know more then I know about goats. But, I do know that as they age they need to have teeth "floated" occasionally, vet told me that first time she was here. She said my goats were young enough it wasn't a concern now. Also, they could have abscesses like any other toothed animal. Check for swelling along the jawline. Could she have a tape worm?

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, I am sorry that you are still dealing with this, but if it was me, I would take a fecal sample to the vet and have them run a float on it before you load her up with a bunch of meds to get rid of worms that she might not even have. Is there a vet that yo could take her to? It sounds like she might need a little more attention then being dewormed and vits.
    Good Luck.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    A vet might have a better idea on what is going on with her.

Have you tested her for CAE recently?

A fecal is a good idea as they may see something that you didn't realize.

5. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Yes she has been tested for cae jhones and cl, and is clear from all of that. THe thing that worrys me is that she was FAT FAT FAT when she showed up here, and now she is skin and bones just a couple of months after I got her, so that is telling me #1 she is not getting naything to eat cause she is low man on totem pole #2 she has a worm that is being stubborn. I will call my vet today and see about getting a fecal float done on her. Everyone else looks great. I dont know why she would be having a problem when the rest of them arent fighting anything.....irritating!

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Have you seen her consistantly eating and drinking with the group? Could she possibly be so submissive that she gets only what everyone else doesn't want? Could she not be drinking consistantly? Not just standing there but actually eating and drinking?
    Have you tried feeding her seperately for awhile? Or putting her seperately with another member of the herd to form a bond that will ease her place into the herd?
    How was she kept before you got her? Could you have a plant there that she is eating that the rest of the herd ignores?

I think, with you, it's odd she arrived fat and has consistantly lost weight at your place.

7. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Well I know that when I feed she just stands there, she is always not with the herd out standing by herself. I have her in a chain link dog kennel with some babies, and she has access to hay at all times and grain twice a day. SHe isent interested in much right now. Doing allot of sleeping. So either she wasent getting much to eat or she is sicker beyond what I can do. I contacted the vet and he says without a temp and me worming her with everything under the sun it sounds like she just wasent getting enough to eat. The reason she is sleeping so much right now is she has a full belly from getting all she wants and she is probably relaxing from not being worryed about getting beat up! He says to watch her temp, give her lots of vit B and probios and some redcell. SO we will see how she progresses. I am very worried about her but if it is truly beng low man on totem pole she should be turnng around well! please put her in your prayers!!

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    This is hard- she could be not competing for food because she feels bad or she feels bad because she wasn't eating. I do hope she feels better soon.

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We have a couple of does that are low on the pole, in our barn we have it so that we can close a gate and make a pen for those does so that they can get their fill of hay. If we have a goat that is extremely low on the pole(ie getting beat up by the other lower goats) she gets to come into the milking side and she gets to eat all the hay she wants. We've always done this and this way the lower goats get a chance to eat. Otherwise they will start getting sickly. I'd say if she was low enough down on the pole, she was probably depressed and hungry.

10. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok, so she isent much better, still very dumpy. Temp is staying good, around 102.5 right now, but it is cold and rainy so I am not suprised, yesterday was warm and sunny and it was 103.5. SHe seems very dehydrated, her eyes are like sinking into her head.....she has a white goopy eye discharge. I have put her on pen G just in case. I am giving her Vit B injections, redcell and will be going and picking up a bag of sub q fluids and we are going to be puting it right into the rumen ( vet says this will bring a goat back from death lol). SO we are still all very very stumped as to what is wrong with her. I feel absolutly horrible in not catching this sooner and really hope I dont loose her. Keep her in your prayers!!!

11. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    She'll be in my prayers.

12. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok, she is now in my house. Her temp is down to 101.3...... WHat should I do. I have sub Q fluids that we are workin at right now. I am going to tube her with warm mollases water and try to get her energy and her temp back up. Also going to give her a BIG dose of probios. Anything else you can think of????

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my only other thought is Calcium :shrug:

14. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    why calcium? mmmmm i will have to look

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    because when I got a doe that wouldn't eat and was skin an bones I gave her calcium supplement and it worked wonders for her. I don't know if it is her problem but I know it can't hurt her

16. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    REALLY!!!mmmmmm I am gonna have to give her some tumes or something till I can actually get some calcium. What kinda calcium supplement did you use?? Well I have had her in the house and her temp popped up to 102.5, went down to 102.2, but that was after she was resting. She seems a bit more fiesty and is REALYY fighting with me when is comes to drenching her, I tried tubing her....yeah not so much. I got it into her lungs twice and she was fighting with me so much I never once made it to her stomach.... grrrrr Well I have discovered she is VERY VERY VERY dehydrated, she pooped and I swear to god it was a rock! it was very small little balls all clumped into one, there was no moisture to it, at all. I mean it looked ancient and that really could not have felt good coming out. SO I have a bad of lactated ringers, I have given her down to the 6 mark ( sorry dont know how much that is) and her body is just sucking it up! Her color is still "ok" a little pale but not too horrible, I have seen worse. SHe has had vit B, thiamine, pen g, gatorade, lactaded ringers, goat nutridrench, redcell.....I think that is it. Anything else you think I can do for her?? Stacey please let me know what kind of calcium supplements you use, and please anyone, with ANY ideas please let me know!! keep praying people, i think it might be workin!

17. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I have used calcium in Tums- it is not balanced all by itself for long term but it sweetens the feed, encourages eating and adds calcium. I crush it up and mix it into grain.
    If she is in milk or near the end of pregnancy, it could be that- a simple fix. Like Stacey said, it can't hurt.
    Dehydration itself can cause a lack of appetitie- most animals won't eat if they need to drink. Did you inject the ringers lactate? I was wondering how one tubed an adult goat that wasn't comatose- I can't think that one of my girls would stand for that.
    Sounds like you are making progress- the best of luck to you on this difficult doe.

18. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    Have you had any bloodwork done? You have put a lot of time into this doe! It might be nice to see what her liver and kidney function test say? Blood count? It just sounds like there is something majorly wrong with her.
    Sue

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I agree with Sue a blood test might be helpful.

I use C.M.P.K. gel or Calci Fresh. Both are large "calk" size tubes labled for cows that you can get at TSC or Jeffers and I just use something to push the gel out with. I gave my large breed doe 2 tablespoons worth (without a drench gun, what fun!) but my pygmy doe I gave 12-15ccs Both times it did seem to work and I gave it for a couple days.

20. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Well her temp stayed consistant last night, she seems to be doing a little bit better. I was putting food and water in front of her and then this morning I put warm water in front of her and she just sucked it down. yay! Her poop is still very dry and very hard but it is not coming out in a big clump anymore, just tiny little pellets. I am going to go and get some unflavored pedialyte and put that in there for water. I will call tuesday when all the vet offices open up and have them run a blood work. I have a big IV bag of lactated ringers, and I was injecting under the skin and in her side right by the stomach, that REALLY seems to perk her up allot. Been giving her lots of VitB, probios, and VIT A D and E gel I think is what it is. I will go searching for calcium gel today. Yes I have put allot of time in this doe, I do feel horrible for letting her get this far tho! I should have been paying a lot more attention! well continue to pray its working!