The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
rdmtnfarms
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My three month old doeling has something wrong. She keeps getting cracks at the corner of her nose. She also has dried mucous and now it almost looks like warts but I don't think they are. It might be sore mouth, but it isn't on her mouth. Also she has swollen glands on her jaw line and is low energy.

Attachments

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
Yep, that is Sore Mouth. It's a milder form then some types. You'll want to clean it with non-drying baby wipes and cover the sores with Tomorrow Mastitis treatment to moisturize and heal. Or you can use fish oil, Aloe Vera, vitamin E oil, etc.

·
rdmtnfarms
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Thanks. None of my other doelings have it. Should I worry about them? Also this has been going on( not this bad) for two and a half weeks. If I can't find tomorrow, what else? Just moisturizers? This is a virus right. Is there anything to boost her immunity? I was going to take her to a show at the end of this month will I be able to do that still?

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
I agree with goathiker....plus if you can take a better pic of the lump on her jaw, its hard to see...as for energy..get a temp on her to be sure nothing else is going on...B complex is a great support vit. for energy and appatite

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
It does have to run its course...I would keep her seperate from others and keep her pen and feeders clean...the B complex will give her a boost...
if you can find tomorrow...keep the are clean and dry..
as for the show...even if she has the slightest hint of scabs..she should stay home..the stress alone could cause another out break and you dont want to spread to the others

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
If you can't find the Tomorrow, mix some Pen G with an oil to provide an antibiotic base moisturizer. Reason being that the swollen gland may indicate that her nose is becoming infected with a secondary bacteria. Today or Tomorrow should be at the TS though. It works great on this type of stuff.
Yes, it's a virus, your other doelings have already been exposed to it. Since she's had it for a couple weeks already, I'd guess she will be fine and healed up by the end of June. She can't show if she has any sores however.

·
rdmtnfarms
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to add, the swollen glands started a week before the sores.

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
Ok I will do that. How contagious is it?
It usually doesn't show up in an animal with a strong immune system. This girl must have been fighting off a little Cocci or a cold or something when she was exposed.
The virus is in your ground.

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
The glands are her body fighting the infection. They will go back down as soon as she's won. You don't want bacteria in the sores though.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Make sure you wach your hands very well after touching her, you can and will get it. Best if you can use ddisposable gloves,

What a great idea about the today and the Penn with oil.

·
rdmtnfarms
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is pic of the lymph nodes. What about neosporin? Thanks for all your help. :(. I am bummed her immunity is down. I wish I could get it up. I will get som B complex though and try that.

Attachments

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
You could give her some Kelp meal too. The micro-nutrients are very good for them. Neosporin would work if it was warm so it wasn't so sticky on her nostrils.

·
rdmtnfarms
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for your advice. I will we what I can find. I don't know about kelp in this area

·
Registered
308 Posts
Today on the sores, and about 3 cc. of B Complex given IM.

You can give her a B complex Shot every day for a week, her immune system is down.

DonnaBelle

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
She could very well be over it in time for the show, or she could still have a couple weeks left, it seems to run its course in 4-8 weeks depending on severity.

·
Registered
458 Posts
It is sore mouth. I had a kid just like that a month or so ago. I used an Iodine Solution and it was completely healed up in a week. It will definitely help with the soreness. You could also give her electrolyte solution (you can also put a little bit of gatorade in her water) and maybe even B complex to help boost her immune system.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts