Need help please!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Jan 10, 2009.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I was wondering if there are in home remedies, for nutri drench or probios. That I can make from ingrediants from here at my house, untill I can get to a feed store. I would really appreciate it. Thanks

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    In a pinch you can use yogurt for pro bios and karo or molassas water for nutri drench

3. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Ok cool thats what I thought, I am in a pinch. I do have karo syrup, and yogurt. How would you mix it and how many cc's would you give for a 45 pound goat. Thanks for your help.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Here are the two recipes I have. I copied them from someone else's post here on TGS (not claiming them as my own, just so you know).

Nutri Drench (make it yourself)
    1 Cup Molasses
    1 Cup Corn Oil (she said it has to be corn oil, nothing else!)
    2 Cups Karo Syrup

Here's a mixture for weak goats/kids :
    Magic---
    1 part Molasses
    1 part Corn oil
    2 parts Karo syrup (light)
    Store mixture in dark, cool place.
    Numerous uses. Goats off feed, dehydration, pregnancy toxemia, stress, kidding
    difficulties, weak kids. Takes longer to metabolize.
    Good to use to get a goat/kid through the night.

There is also a mixture you can make for weak goats/kids that contains equal parts of strong coffee, whiskey, and molasses. I've yet to use this but have heard it has saved many, many goats.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, we must have posted near the same time. . . . I am not aware that you can really overdose. I have heard of giving the mixture of liquor, coffee, and molasses at 3cc every half hour. You should see improvement pretty quickly. But someone probably knows better.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I don't really know how much I gave my doe. She was also about 45 lbs and I just gave her 1/2 a small single size container of yogurt(strawberry is her favorite) and about 2TBSP molassas mixed in 20 ounces of water.

My doe likes yogurt and will eat it from the container or a bowl

capriola-nd,
    Thanks for those recipes.
    We are nursing a really little doeling who had a really rough start. I am sure you have read our story.