Need Help, Please

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by FrankSandy, Jan 17, 2013.

1. FrankSandy

FrankSandy New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    virginia
    Have a young buck down, he got out in the heavy rain last night and caught under a large bucket, any way,,, he has his head turned to the shoulder, like he wants to die, I have dryed him off he is next to a oil filled heater , anything else I can do for him,,:(

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    What is his temperature? Can he move his head or did he injure his neck?

3. pubgal83

pubgal83 New Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    I would ask the same. Keep us updated, praying for the little guy.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree on the questions?
    get a temp, to see if he is sub temp, if he is, that may be why he is doing the neck thing.

Glad you have heat going to him.
    If he is sub, you can get blankets and put a heating pad under him. Don't make it to hot that it will burn him. I am assuming he is a mature buck right?

You can try equal parts of warm coffee, karo, whiskey mixture to help warm him up.

But first, get that temp on him.

I would give him probiotics and fortified vit B complex as well for his rumen.

Make sure, he is not laying out flat if you can prop him up.

No grain at this time, even if he wants it, only hay.

Hopefully his organs are not shutting down.

massage his legs and around to help circulation

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Toth Boer said it all....A good brisk rubbing to stimulate him might help as well...To help heat him up if needed..create a tent with a sheet or blanket and keep a heat source in there with him...and stay with him at all time while you have a heater in with him...if he is small enough you can hold him and use the tent idea and a blow dryer...

6. FrankSandy

FrankSandy New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    virginia
    Ok Took Temp, Thank You for helping

Well bad news there, He is still too cool to get a temp. So he is real low, I have put a infrared heat lamp on him. Moved him some repositioned, he is holding his self in a laying position. And letting out such a sad cry, I got his best fried goat to stay with him, he seems a little happier now. Not eating.
    I have had such a long hard year with my goats! If not one thing here comes another. I have raised goats for over 15 years, and in that time I have only lost one and that was to bloat. But this past year till now I have lost 4, and I'm not counting this little guy, he is just over a year old. The most adorable Nigerian Dwarf. I am heart sick. I am on my goats as much as a person can be. I watch all the time, feed the best, have a lovely little barn for them. Ex. fencing only the best. So very sad,, I have to atribute my bad luck on the awful weather we have been having here. We are in a flooded area now. With snow and very cold temps. Coming very soon. I want to move to Arazona! Sorry for the long read, just so upset. Thanks for reading. Sandy

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Don't give up on him. Rub him down with like hot towels from your dryer. Keep rotating them to keep them hot. Turn him from side to side if you can to dry both sides.

I would give him the coffee, kayo Syrup and Whiskey NOW. I would mix like 10CC of each together, make sure that coffee is hot, and then give him 4-5cc and wait a half hour and give another 4-5cc. If you have any yogurt, I would give him some of that also.

Are you sure your thermometer works? I only say that because I swear the batteries in mine go out all the time.

I am so sorry you are having a hard time. I am praying for you two.

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Is he small enough to put in a trash bag and immerse in a tub of warm water?

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Please don't give up on him, the longer he is sub temp, his organs will start shutting down.

I wish I knew how big he is, as mentioned, if he is small enough to immerse in a tub of warm water, I would. Try another thermometer in case.
    If he isn't registering on the temp at all, it seems odd that he is still alive. So it may be not working right. But don't give up. Keep warming him any way you can.

10. FrankSandy

FrankSandy New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    virginia
    Oh I will not give up on him, Ty for kind words

;) I Do not have coffee, wisky or Karo, :( But I do have Goat Electrolyte. So I made some up with warm water and I got 30cc into him. But he is having a hard time to swallow. I did get him to. Not able to get out of here to the store. We are having a awful storm, My farm is flooded , high winds snow any time. River are all flooding too. UGH! over 8" of rain. Oh he is very small ND weighs 20LBS. I am very worried his internal organs are not working. No poopoo,
    Kind Regards, All

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    at 20lbs you should be able to warm him in the bathtub. Place him in a large trash bag with his head sticking out. Keep him in the warm for 20 minutes or so but don't allow the water to cool off. Also don't allow him to get wet if at all possible. If he does you will need to blow dry him or he will become chilled.

12. I'm so sorry. Were you able to check you thermometer? possibly check it on the other goat if necessary. I know it's been mentioned getting him in some warm water if possible. If not are you able to get the heating pad around him? checking every few minutes to be sure it doesn't get to hot. You can throw blankets in the dryer whip em out and cover him while the next ones are warming up. Do you have any vitamin E capsules, you could squirt a little in his mouth. You mentioned he's having a hard time swallowing so of course be careful. Like toth mentioned try and get him more upright than laying out flat. If you have empty two liter bottles you can fill with very warm water and kind of prop both sides up with those (obviously really watch for the water temp to go down and put more warm water in there. With rabbits that got kicked out of a box, I even took a blow dryer to them and just kept it moving so it didn't get too hot in one spot. Prop warm blankets what ever you can. Do you have any probios, like the kind in a blue and white paste tube? keep us posted, I hope the rest of your guys are ok.

13. Zarafia

Zarafia Senior Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Archer, FL
    I also am so sorry you are having such a hard time, and I know how bad it feels to have one of your animals in such distress.
    You obviously care about your little guy. With such nasty weather, can you bring him inside? I know goats are messy indoors, but if his systems are shutting down he likely wont make much mess.
    I know that with birds in shock, like your goat is, if you don't have karo syrup you can put any sugary syrup on their tongues, or honey works well, maybe even a sugar paste made from sugar and a little warm water. It helps bring their bloodsugar back up to help bring them out of shock.
    But it is vital to warm their body up. I know you're trying. The towels in the dryer thing works very well for shocky animals. I've done it several times with puppies and cats.
    Good luck!

14. If you don't have a water bottle to put underneath, you could fill an old sock with raw rice and tie it up tightly and pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute, depending on the strength of your microwave. Mix the rice around to even out the heat and then place under him. Be sure to chexk hot hot the heat is, if it burns your skin, wait a minute or two until it's no longer too hot for your touch.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    20 lbs,if he were mine, I would take him in the house and put him in a garbage bag, with his head out, so he can breath. submerge the bag into good warm water, with him in it and do not get him wet. but not to hot to burn and refill as needed to keep the temp warm enough to start warming his body. If he isn't able to swallow, stop putting things down his throat, wait until his temp goes up some, monitor it and check it periodically. Until it is closer to normal. After his temp comes up, then feed him what was mentioned to warm up his inside. Is there anyway, you can keep him in the bathroom or somewhere in the house or where he can have a better chance and so you can keep an eye on him?

It may or may not be to late. If he hasn't ate anything for a long period of time, he won't have anything to poo or pee out.

16. serenityfarmnm

serenityfarmnm Newbie, Head over Heels in Love!

Jan 6, 2013
    Caballo, NM
    Man I really hope things are good!! I keep checking the thread for updates!

17. NigerianGirl

NigerianGirl Junior Member

Jan 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    im praying for him!! i dont know how to help aside from that good luck!!

18. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I have no advice, I just wanted to say that I am sorry your young fella is not doing well. I hope and pray that you can figure out what is ailing him and get him going again. Poor baby, it's heartbreaking to watch them when they are so bad off :( Thoughts and prayers definitely going your way!

19. FrankSandy

FrankSandy New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    virginia
    Good Morning! Have tell you, Y'all are Great

I did almost everything you told me that I could for him. He is alive and hungry this AM. Moving a bit. He is warm now, but still has head pulled to his shoulder. I moved his head to the correct position but he goes back??:confused:
    So any guesses their? I will say he is much better. I will keep you posted, have lots of chores this AM so BRB in a few

20. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    His still being here is a sign hes a fighter.
    His head being pulled to the side is a sign of Polio (low thiamine level,) Enterotoxemia (overeating disease), Listerosis (circling disease). Treatment if you want to try is HIGH doses of Thiamine (B-1) and High doses of Pen Procaine every 6 hours. I haven't been able to find fortified B-12 in the farm stores lately but you can use the human pill crushed and given that way IF he can swallow. He will need the equivilant of 100mg. If he can't swallow you can use the normal B-12 complex and give 12CC. Pen Procaine dose for a 20lb goat is 1.5cc given SQ over the ribs EVERY 6 hours. Ask your vet if he will prescribe Dexmethsome, a steroid to reduce brain swelling. Care must be used when giving Dex and its given on a step down dosage. This means you give a large amount and then step down to less each day for a week. Your vet will give you the exact dosage. This info was taken from the Mereck Manual