The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mini Nubian doe who is about 4 months old and she will not let me touch her. How do I go about "breaking" her I'd like her to be my milker after she is freshened but she doesn't seem to be coming around thanks for your help in advance

Attachments

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Does she like grain? I'd grab a book and a tub with grain, set it beside you and just read and relax. Let her get comfortable for a few days and build from there. was she handled at all before you got her? I got a wild yearling last year. She was my only goat at the time. I tied her in the barn until she tamed up some(it didnt take long) she still isn't overly friendly but she will come say hi and get a pet or two before she wanders off to eat :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just spend a lot of time around her without asking anything of her. Try and get her to eat out of your hand. Take a lawn chair and a book and sit in her pen for a while. I find it a lot easier to socialize kids rather than an older animal so it's good that she looks so young. With some time, effort, and treats, she'll come around in no time. ;)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Time and patience. Find a treat she likes, fill your pockets. Sit down in her pen or somewhere near her but not insisting on being with her/touching her. She'll eventually come up for the treats. Slowly but surely through treats she'll find trust in you and will become tamer. It takes some time but usually food brings a goat around. Some goats don't ever fully become lovers but usually food will at least make them friendly

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She wasn't handled at all before I got her and she won't even come near a feed pan until I leave . One I get ahold of her she lets me pet her and rub all over her But she looks scared which I guess I would be too. I have a bottle buck out there with her and I figured with him bein so friendly she would get the point. It's been so stinking Hot here lately that breaking her has been on the back burner but I'm gonna sit with her tomorrow and maybe tie up the buck outside to graze so we can have some one on one tomorrow

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had a beautiful white doe like that. She ended up becoming my favorite doe here after a while. This is what I did:
Stay in her stall for a while. She was under quarantine so I was her only company at the time. I would just sit there with the radio, playing the same relaxing song. Doing that for a while, she would eventually become curious of me. She would sniff and glance at me for a while. I put this board on the other side of the stall and moving it throughout quarantine. Everyday, I would move it to make the stall a little smaller for her to be closer to me. Eventually, we were very close together and she was kinda used to me. Slowly touch her shoulder, not her back or neck but her shoulder. Everyday progress more towards and up her neck. Eventually, after giving her a good itch on her neck I started with her back. By then, we were all friends. If the song is playing on the radio outside when I am cleaning the barn, she comes running to me. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone Ina work with her tomorrow n will give everyone an update :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts